Unaccounted for disc space & changes

yaba-

Baseband Member
hard drive should be empty ----- but has 31 gb on it --- But I cannot find any files also ----disc space available changes ---- when I was asleep it changed from 3.68 to 1.12 not hooked up to internet - remote disabled - wireless disabled - blue tooth disabled --- but light still on ???????????????????????????? disable ? no disable ? where are the 31GB ? --------- sorry to bother you

I unchecked all the boxes in the firewall - but file & printer sharing was rechecked -
disabled wireless etc. and boxes stopped getting checked but the storage still changes -

also files were disappearing & re appearing ------------------- also wondering if I remove harddrive & then put it back - will files be lost - is this a good Idea or a bad Idea - I don't really like to disassemble things that work correctly - but to protect data - I am just wondering ?-----------------sorry to bother you

Last edited by a moderator:
hard drive should be empty ----- but has 31 gb on it --- But I cannot find any files also ----disc space available changes ---- when I was asleep it changed from 3.68 to 1.12 not hooked up to internet - remote disabled - wireless disabled - blue tooth disabled --- but light still on ???????????????????????????? disable ? no disable ? where are the 31GB ? --------- sorry to bother you

I unchecked all the boxes in the firewall - but file & printer sharing was rechecked -
disabled wireless etc. and boxes stopped getting checked but the storage still changes -

also files were disappearing & re appearing ------------------- also wondering if I remove harddrive & then put it back - will files be lost - is this a good Idea or a bad Idea - I don't really like to disassemble things that work correctly - but to protect data - I am just wondering ?-----------------sorry to bother you

Is this your C:\ drive that's fluctuating? If so, then my guess it's related to any one (or combination) of the following:

Windows Updates in the background
Windows cache
Pagefile automatically adjusting
Hibernation file adjusting
System Restore points

If this is a secondary drive, then you will lose some storage space after formatting the drive. E.g., if you have a 250GB (advertised) drive, after formatting it will be around 230GB, a "loss" of around 20GB.

Is this your C:\ drive that's fluctuating?------- yes
Windows Updates in the background ---------- not connected to internet --------
Windows cache---------- ? what ?-------------
Pagefile automatically adjusting-------- ? huh ?--------------
Hibernation file adjusting-------- ?????----------
System Restore points-----I just set one--------------
I was getting use to xp ----------- this is Vista ------- lost again:(

31GB ?????

Last edited:
Is this your C:\ drive that's fluctuating?------- yes
Windows Updates in the background ---------- not connected to internet --------
Windows cache---------- ? what ?-------------
Pagefile automatically adjusting-------- ? huh ?--------------
Hibernation file adjusting-------- ?????----------
System Restore points-----I just set one--------------
I was getting use to xp ----------- this is Vista ------- lost again:(

If this is your C:\ drive, and there is 31GB being used... then I'm guessing that's the OS and the other things I mentioned.

Pagefile is virtual RAM that's stored on your HDD in case your physical RAM gets filled up by too many processes.
Hibernation file is a power setting that when you enter Hibernation, the computer saves the contents of RAM onto your HDD, and then turns the computer off. It's beneficial for laptops - not usually useful in desktop situations.

Go to WinDirStat - Windows Directory Statistics and download/install it. Then run it on your C:\ drive and post a screenshot of it's results here.

now it's 857 mb free space - a couple of hours ago it was 1.12 GB
& I have not used it -- it's been turned off ---------------
am I going to lose my lifes work files ?

now it's 857 mb free space - a couple of hours ago it was 1.12 GB
& I have not used it -- it's been turned off ---------------
am I going to lose my lifes work files ?

Something is filling up space... do you have a virus?

Run WinDirStat - this will tell us exactly what directory/directories are taking up space.

Backup your important data files to a flash drive or external HDD if you think there may be a risk of them being deleted.

Backup your important data files to a flash drive or external HDD if you think there may be a risk of them being deleted.----------- I don't have anything xternal to back them up to

Something is filling up space... do you have a virus? ---------it's a used laptop I just got it - it has never been hooked up to internet since I've had it -& I cannot connect here because it's my moms internet & I don't have a password -- besides I am afraid of virus's - so I don't even want to connect to internet

Run WinDirStat --- jux a second - I'll try

I can also clearly see a camera on it -- but it says there is no camera

how do I run windirstat ?
I looked it up - they are speaking alien
my mom brought me this laptop & she doesn't even like me - so I would not be suprised if it does have something bad on it : (

Last edited:
Backup your important data files to a flash drive or external HDD if you think there may be a risk of them being deleted.----------- I don't have anything xternal to back them up to

Buy a flashdrive for ~$10.

how do I run windirstat ?

Double click the shortcut on the desktop or the shortcut in the Programs folder under your Start menu.

When it opens up, select "Individual drives" radio button, and then highlight your C:\ drive and click OK. It should run through (may take a while). After it's done and the graph is generated... take a screenshot and post it here.

Buy a flashdrive for ~$10. ----

-----too much crime - can't leave the house unattended - but I'll get to it when I can

Double click the shortcut on the desktop or the shortcut in the Programs folder under your Start menu.

When it opens up, select "Individual drives" radio button, and then highlight your C:\ drive and click OK. It should run through (may take a while). After it's done and the graph is generated... take a screenshot and post it here---------------

---------idk how to take screenshots -- no I don't have windirstat - fudge it - we'll see what happens --- shoulda had an external hd by now - my poverty bad

GD - I'm supposed to B in School - I never get my assignment completed : (

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom