Is my GPU about to die?

Lower wattage units usually have a peak at what they are rated at, and depending on what CPU you have you are probably taxing the PSU quite a bit.

I'm surprised nobody corrected this, but CPUID (CPU-Z) does nothing but give you information about your CPU, motherboard, RAM, ect. Unless you meant Hardware monitor, but you said all 3 cores which would be the CPU temps you were looking at. For future reference, if you want to monitor the GPU either use GPU-Z or MSI Afterburner. I don't think the problem is temps, even though you mentioned power before you can't actually limit the power being drawn from the PSU under load. Sounds like you just underclocked your card so it wouldn't tax the PSU as hard under load. If this is the case, you definitely need a new PSU, and the one linked above is the one I recommend everybody.

Lower wattage units usually have a peak at what they are rated at, and depending on what CPU you have you are probably taxing the PSU quite a bit.

I'm surprised nobody corrected this, but CPUID (CPU-Z) does nothing but give you information about your CPU, motherboard, RAM, ect. Unless you meant Hardware monitor, but you said all 3 cores which would be the CPU temps you were looking at. For future reference, if you want to monitor the GPU either use GPU-Z or MSI Afterburner. I don't think the problem is temps, even though you mentioned power before you can't actually limit the power being drawn from the PSU under load. Sounds like you just underclocked your card so it wouldn't tax the PSU as hard under load. If this is the case, you definitely need a new PSU, and the one linked above is the one I recommend everybody.

I read it and was gonna comment, but it isn't heat and so I didn't want to further complicate things...

I read it and was gonna comment, but it isn't heat and so I didn't want to further complicate things...
I feel in this case it's better to educate to alleviate any possible future problems. Getting CPU and GPU temps mixed up can cause some serious headaches for people trying to help. Although, HWMonitor is sometimes known to give multiple temp readouts on certain cards, that's also another reason why I tell people to simply use MSI Afterburner.

It's probably the driver. I recently upgraded my GTX 560ti and ran into all kinds of issues from the video card crashing to just plain 'ol lock-ups. I reverted to the 314.07 driver and running with no problems. I first tried the 320.18 a couple months ago and had crashes so I rolled back. then about two weeks ago I tried the 320.49 ( supposed to have fixed bugs) but I started locking up after I got that driver. There is a beta 326.XX driver but i'm going to wait it out.
try installing the 314.07 driver and see if that helps you.
Links to bug reports:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...x-display-driver-stability-feedback-thread-/1

Last edited:
I'm running the 326.41 WHQL with no issues.

With what?

If the OP tries the 314.07 driver and it solves his issue (because we know this to be a stable driver), then he should update to the 326.41 driver and see if his system stays stable. All the 326.XX drivers for my card are still in beta, not WHQL

Last edited:
Double checked, it's the beta. Don't recall ever downloading it as a beta, but that's what the site says so I suppose it is. Either way, we are running the same line as I have a 580. I went from the 314s to these last month.

Back
Top Bottom