3d modeling system requirements for current machine

y2adre

In Runtime
I am currently studying for my A+ exam and just looking to attempt a little side hobby of 3d modeling. I have thought of getting autodesk 3dsmax and just had a question. I currently run as my main rig an and fx 6100, 12 gigs of ram 1600mhz, and a Radeon HD 7770 1 gig video card. Do I really need a workstation video card like a firepro or quaddro? Or is my radeon suffice for now? Thx for the assistance

Your system is a little higher than system requirements so it should get the job done. Depending on how they handle GPGPU it probably wouldn't hurt to get a better desktop card with higher floating point but you don't need to be spending several grand on professional cards.

I heard most of the work station cards do not perform as well anymore as the new gaming cards carry more power unless you go with like a 3000 GPU..., lower end quadro cards I was told perform a lot slower than any decent gaming card...
Get yourself a card with 3 gigs of ram and decent transfer rates and you will be better of..,
I am in the same situation, hunting for a new card for the same purpose, 3d modeling / animation and video production...
Cheers from CA

I heard most of the work station cards do not perform as well anymore as the new gaming cards carry more power unless you go with like a 3000 GPU..., lower end quadro cards I was told perform a lot slower than any decent gaming card...
Get yourself a card with 3 gigs of ram and decent transfer rates and you will be better of..,
I am in the same situation, hunting for a new card for the same purpose, 3d modeling / animation and video production...
Cheers from CA
The professional cards based on the same silicon the gaming cards in question are easily way more powerful in their native environment than the gaming cards. Much like how gaming cards are more powerful than pro cards in gaming. The only difference is the target audience and the pricing involved.

The only exception to this IMO is the Titan, which is basically a directly consumer labeled Tesla K20. AFAIK the bios can be flashed to make it a Tesla, but don't quote me on that because I haven't taken the time to really look. (I'll never be buying a card like that anyways).

The higher end cards yes not the lower end quadro cards I read on one of the forums typically for 3d design one of the users had 2 lower end quadro cards and his newer geforce gtx 760 was outperforming either of the quadro cards.
3dsmax has a special driver to utilize the quadro cards and it seems like they focused only now on the higher end quadro cards, example quadro 2000 - a $450 card only Memory Bandwidth of 41.6 GB/s , where a decent gaming card will quadruple this, topping at 260 GB/S and up for the same price....
Unless you're going to quadro 5000 for almost 2000 dollars still topping at only 120 GB/S memory bandwidth....
Stay with a standard good quality gaming card , you want lots of memory and good memory bandwidth... even quadro 6000 for $4500 if you can dish out that sum , well at 6 gigs of memory but only 144g/s transfer rate ...,
What you need is lots of volume and fast transfer rates...
you can do Industrial light & magic with 600 dollars GPU budget. :)

The higher end cards yes not the lower end quadro cards I read on one of the forums typically for 3d design one of the users had 2 lower end quadro cards and his newer geforce gtx 760 was outperforming either of the quadro cards.
3dsmax has a special driver to utilize the quadro cards and it seems like they focused only now on the higher end quadro cards, example quadro 2000 - a $450 card only Memory Bandwidth of 41.6 GB/s , where a decent gaming card will quadruple this, topping at 260 GB/S and up for the same price....
Unless you're going to quadro 5000 for almost 2000 dollars still topping at only 120 GB/S memory bandwidth....
Stay with a standard good quality gaming card , you want lots of memory and good memory bandwidth... even quadro 6000 for $4500 if you can dish out that sum , well at 6 gigs of memory but only 144g/s transfer rate ...,
What you need is lots of volume and fast transfer rates...
you can do Industrial light & magic with 600 dollars GPU budget. :)
Yea, I explained why this is in the other thread.

The 4500 dollar card is like the 600 dollar equivalent card due to target audience and different support. Try to remember that specs aren't everything.

For instance, trying to do advanced rendering and modeling on a 250 dollar Quadro card is like trying to play games on an AMD APU. But there are ways to unlock consumer cards to make pro cards and get those extra benefits. You just have to be brave and handy with a soldering iron.

Yea, the Quadro 4000 is based on a previous generation chip compared to the 660ti, but it depends on the task because Fermi has higher double precision due to it having beefier cuda cores rather than sheer count.

The reason why the 600 series (Kepler midrange chip) has so many cores is because they split them to reduce heat. Think of having many large steaks vs having a ton of small steaks. They did this specifically for the consumer market, due to people like me complaining about the ridiculous amount of heat a GTX580 spits out. But Fermi still has higher double precision performance compared to midrange Kepler in most applications. AMD has even higher than both.

Back
Top Bottom