Upgrades to my computer / Good or bad ones ?

SanMirguloz

Solid State Member
My problem here is. Im running rather old computer and I'd be more than willing to get upgrades. I currently having GeForce GT 640 as my Graphics Card, AMD Athlon II X2 250 Processor and some extremely cheap MOBO. Far as I know, Its Asrock N68-GS3 UCC or something like that.​

Anywho, I'm looking for new MOBO & Processor and I've so far find these ones
MSI Z87-G43 Socket 1150 ATX as MOBO (98.90€)
Intel Core i5-4570 Boxed as processor (179.90€)

What I am here to ask is, are they better than my current ones ?
and I'd like to know more about the motherboard.. By your experience how does it work and is it worth the penny. I'm also willing to hear other options around the same price range max.​

Last edited:
Yea, the 4570 is vastly superior to your Athlon.

You don't need a Z87 board for a processor that can't overclock. You can save money by just getting a simple B85 board.

Also, is this for gaming? You'll find that the 640 is rather lackluster in the performance department.

So I think I'll need to upgrade GPU as well.
I have a question or two more to ask.
- - Will my 550W be enough to supply these parts
- - Does i5 need any cooling equipment (Corsair for example)
- - Any GPU recomendations (Paid 100€ (133USD) for the 640)
and lastly, Is there any other factors which might ruin the success, like RAM etc ?

1: What brand is the PSU? A quality 550w is sufficient to run a decent rig but an off brand not so much.
2: No, the stock cooler is fine as long as your ambient temps aren't desert like (doubtful in Finland).
3: Really depends on your budget. You won't get very much for a low budget other than the 640 you have. I would look at getting a 650ti Boost at the minimum, or a GTX 760 which would be a significant upgrade capable of maxed settings on 90% of the games on the market.
4: You are running DDR3 now if that board is correct. It should run fine in the new Intel setup. If you don't have 8GB of RAM, I suggest upgrading to at least a 2x4GB kit of 1600MHz DDR3.

Which model Antec? They have good ones and bad ones alike.

No problem.

I would skip getting just 4 more GB and grab a 2x4GB kit. Would make more sense considering if you get a cheaper B85 board, most only have 2 DIMM slots.

Ok, I wouldn't run anything higher than a GTX 660ti or GTX 760 on that PSU, as the BasiQ line is their bottom line.

I would chose the ASRock personally.

Back
Top Bottom