Please Help.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtt32789

Beta member
hey, I just saw this file that is called ~cevts0 and it takes up 1.5 gigabytes....if anyone knows what this is or if i can delete it please help it is one of the files that is right there when u go to the c drive and when i tried to open it, it said windows cannot open this file and then it says use the web service to find the appropriate program or select a program from a list......
if anyone knows how to help please email me at mtt32789@hotmail.com or just post it here
thanks a lot

try to run an updated anti virus program like norton or avg...if nothing comes up,..try running ad-aware...again if nothing comes up....try to figure out when this file appeared(get its properties)...and try to remember exactly what you were doing that time,..it might be program related( but most probably its not).

i'll see what more i can find about this file...

I have the same file. I found it when running a defrag, and this file showed up with a TON of fragments. It appears in the Root directory C:\ and does not have a file extension. Mine is about 500mb though not as big as the other guys. Anyone know if this is a junk file and can be removed? Thanks

Well I've searched just about everywhere for this file and the only thing I could come up with was a Lenny Kravitz MP3 and that wasn't anywhere near 500 or 1500MB.

I searched all known virus records, again nothing allthough the amount of viruses with a '~' is quite large (and most are Kazaa or other p2p related).

So, why not tell us the OS that you both are running AND the exact location of the file?

Can you find a DATE the file was created (it must have one)?

And whats in the file/folder?

Have you typed the name EXACTLY as shown on your sys?

Is your OS acting strangely or your firewall reporting service requests to connect to the internet and the ports it wants to open (presuming you have/use good firewalls) ?

My instinct is the file has somethimg to do with 'system events' and could be a system file for restore points/ M$ updates etc, BUT I cannot find it or anything similar on my own OS (xp Pro).

Saying that I would do a full AV scan (with latest updates) etc to see if anything is found.

M$ had major problems earlier this year with a '~' file that was an update file for Outlook/ Outlook Express but again this file was only about 250kb.

Please respond.

if the file size is different on 2 computers perhaps it is a file different on all computers, and is created relative to what hardware you have.

Once i had to install XP again (I installd in a different directory) because "hal.dll" was corrupt, then i replaced the hal.dll file with the one on the newly installed XP. so I looked on the net to see what hal.dll was for, and i found it was some sort of a configuration for the hardware settings and is different on all computers.

if i would have replaced the hal.dll file with one from another computer it would have stuffed up

Im running XP Pro as well. The file is not located in a folder, it is a FILE not a FOLDER and it is directly off the C:\. It has NO EXTENSION and the icon is just a basic windows icon not referring to any particular program on my PC. I am not able to open the file with any program on my machine(even basic text programs). I dont believe that the file creation date is the same date as the day I installed the OS. Its not a big deal right now since I was able to clear up a lot of space without touching that file, but it is interesting to know what the file is and if it can be removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom