Need help on wire-less router buy???

I agree that any manufacture's router can be good while another model from that same manufacture can really be horrible. I recommend that anybody looking for a router regardless of manufacture, go on line and check check and check reviews of the router they might be interested in. I know Linksys can make a decent router but so can several well known company's too. If your budget is under $100., you can't expect all the bells and whistles but you should find something decent. Linksys, Trendnet, Netgear, Belkin are just a few popular name brands you can research into

PP....I still have that Linksys router buried in my garage, I'll dig it out to get that model number for you

yup....here's that model number...

IMG_4491.jpg

IMG_4492.jpg

Oh God. I think that was one of their first attempts at MIMO before draft N and it was a total fail. Mixed mode performance issues, required a matching card for proper performance, range issues. Yea, I almost bought one of those to replace my WRT54G and I'm glad I didn't. I actually still have my WRT54G.

It is a pre-N router....kinda like N wireless but not! Only one mode and worked with anything else wireless, it was supposed to be better with another N device but you couldn't tell. The range slowly degraded to a point that it had to go. I really like that Netgear, I paid about the same for it as I did that linksys but now I see the WDNR 4500 router selling for almost a $100. more than what I paid for it

The WRT 54G routers are still being sold. They are cheap and they do work....not great by any means, but you can get a signal in the same room for about $50.
Linksys WRT54GL Wireless Broadband Router 802.11b/g 54Mbps - Newegg.com

Last edited:
Signal on mine was fantastic. I used to steal wifi from neighbors with that thing. And neighbors out here are acres away. I could probably still get full signal with mine in this place if it wasn't so old.

Signal on mine was fantastic. I used to steal wifi from neighbors with that thing. And neighbors out here are acres away. I could probably still get full signal with mine in this place if it wasn't so old.

If your in a mobile home with a metal exterior....that really hamper your range outside of the house

I've heard good things about that Asus router!

Last edited:
I've heard good things about that Asus router!
Their mid-to-high end routers are really good performers. I've used their N56, N66, & currently own their AC66. All fantastic routers with lots of networking options through a decent web-interface.

That's the one I'm using now. I've had it maybe a couple of years now; I've been pretty happy with the wireless performance with typically 4 to 6 devices connected at a time.

The only thing with my unit is that plugging anything into the USB slot brings the radios down; there might be newer firmware now that fixes it, but I haven't checked.

Back
Top Bottom