Hey guys, help me choose next upgrade

If it's working fine now with aftermarket cooling then most likely the spikes weren't clicking down which is common, or something else. Either way, if your temps are good and the CPU is running fine then there is no issue to really discuss. Just know that everybody is getting crap performance with Rome 2 and you'll have to wait for updates like the rest of us.
Okay! Thanks for the information. Figured my pc was out of date since the cpu/mobo is pretty old. Thank you!

Check my stickied thread in the other sub-forum (new builds). CPUs really aren't that big a deal anymore where gaming is concerned. It's all about GPU power, and you have a nice GPU already. The game for some reason was poorly optimized before release. If you got some water on your chip you could try OCing a bit. Nothing fancy, 3.2 or 3.4 would be perfect, but it wouldn't really help your case on the game.

Check my stickied thread in the other sub-forum (new builds). CPUs really aren't that big a deal anymore where gaming is concerned. It's all about GPU power, and you have a nice GPU already. The game for some reason was poorly optimized before release. If you got some water on your chip you could try OCing a bit. Nothing fancy, 3.2 or 3.4 would be perfect, but it wouldn't really help your case on the game.
Hey quick question, dont know if you will come back and read this. I have the ASUS card and I use their OC program but I don't get any noticeable difference when i max out the sliders. Is that normal?

In Rome 2, or in general? If you mean Rome 2, yea it won't do squat. They need to fix the game as so many people with different rigs are having problems.

Also, if you mean the video card and overclocking it, maxing the sliders out can actually damage your card. Wouldn't mess with any of that if you don't know what you're doing.

In Rome 2, or in general? If you mean Rome 2, yea it won't do squat. They need to fix the game as so many people with different rigs are having problems.

Also, if you mean the video card and overclocking it, maxing the sliders out can actually damage your card. Wouldn't mess with any of that if you don't know what you're doing.

I mean in general. I didn't think it could do damage since it's so basic of a over clocking thing. I now know what not to do though.

If it goes over .5v bumping and 200Mhz on the core or memory then it can cause damage. Although, most that ever happens is you get funny coloring artifacts all over your screen and it's a pain in the ass to reset. If the overclock failed then they might have a failsafe set in the program to reset to default clocks to prevent damage.

Ahh, i didn't change any voltage. I maxed out GPU boost clock and memory clock.

For increased boost you will need extra voltage. The problem with how the 600 series works is if you hit a certain TDP limit it doesn't matter how much voltage or how far you push the clocks it just won't boost that high. So it makes it more of a pain in the ass because you have to find the right balance between clock and voltage without hitting the limit or you could actually cause negative effects from throttling. This is the very reason that the Titan has, and it's worse because it has a weak VRM circuit. That's why I've been telling everybody to avoid 600 series and Titans for the 700 series. I know you already have the 670, so good luck.

Back
Top Bottom