Hey guys, help me choose next upgrade

dhise

Baseband Member
I currently have 6 gb's ddr3 ram
i7 920 cpu (2009 is when i purchased it)
GTX 670 Asus 2gb Video card
1000 PSU

Now I sort of want to crossfire gtx 670's but I think it's time i upgraded my cpu I believe it's bottlenecking my pc what do you guys think? If you think it's CPU and mobo then please link me it on newegg, that'd be appreciated!

Your CPU's not bottlenecking your rig. Are you just not getting the gaming performance you wanted, or are you trying make it better than what you have?

I'm really not getting the gaming performance that I wanted. And since the get go my CPU has been weird it was always very hot and until i got a aftermarket water cooler it would run stupid hot. My fps in rome 2 under extreme is about 25~

I'm really not getting the gaming performance that I wanted. And since the get go my CPU has been weird it was always very hot and until i got a aftermarket water cooler it would run stupid hot. My fps in rome 2 under extreme is about 25~
It's not your setup, it's the game. I have a 3960x and highly overclocked GTX 580 and I get about 25fps too. The game barely uses my CPU (15% highest usage).

Just wait for the updates.

To the last part, i7's are naturally hot.

It's not your setup, it's the game. I have a 3960x and highly overclocked GTX 580 and I get about 25fps too. The game barely uses my CPU (15% highest usage).

Just wait for the updates.

To the last part, i7's are naturally hot.

No I mean something was wrong with it. It was hitting 100 degrees on the stock cool and would just shut down now it runs at 50-60~ on water cooling.

No I mean something was wrong with it. It was hitting 100 degrees on the stock cool and would just shut down now it runs at 50-60~ on water cooling.
Sounds about normal. I ditched an i7 920 for an i5 750 due to heat. If you turn off HT you'll probably load even cooler than 50-60c. If you tried overclocking on the stock cooler then you may have damaged it, but hitting those temps on the old style stock cooler wasn't uncommon at all.

Those were all unclocked. It wouldn't even fully boot. It would turn off get to loading windows and shut off. Then I'd boot to bios and the temp would be 100~+ then shut off. What is HT?

Those were all unclocked. It wouldn't even fully boot. It would turn off get to loading windows and shut off. Then I'd boot to bios and the temp would be 100~+ then shut off. What is HT?
If it's working fine now with aftermarket cooling then most likely the spikes weren't clicking down which is common, or something else. Either way, if your temps are good and the CPU is running fine then there is no issue to really discuss. Just know that everybody is getting crap performance with Rome 2 and you'll have to wait for updates like the rest of us.

Back
Top Bottom