Hard Drive

low voltages can damage parts, your voltages can drop when you use several things on one hub.

I had never heard of this happening to hard drives before. So it sounds as though it would be safer putting my HDD inside my PC...?
Would I be advised to scrap my caddie as a matter of data security (on the thinking that it might be damaged) , even if I get a powered hub?

a powered hub would be much better than what your currently using now. Why not get a USB pci/pci-e card?

IS that a thing that has lots of ports on it, coming out of the back of the computer? This would give me an issue of having too many wires coming through my door.

In the 20th century there was this thing that opened and closed. Often it was wooden. Wood came from trees. Trees had this wonderful property-- oh.... I shan't go on. Anyhow, when I say door, I don't mean 'portal;' 'stargate' or some such.

I have connected up my new HDD -- the same make and model as the one that apparently failed. I put it in my desktop as a second drive, worried that my caddy is chewing up my external HDDs.

Unfortunately this, too, got the same rejection: a panel saying it needed formatting -- even though I had already formatted it. Looking through the formatting options, I see that things have changed. Now you need to create a partition; Windows (I'm on XP, by the way) needs an allocation unit size and a file system on your new storage device. In the end, after much struggling with trying to overcome the problem of putting all my data on a mere 39.5 GB partition, I found out I would have to go for the 'Extended Partition' option.

So are all my problems of HDD apparent unreadablilty down to nothing more than some Windows update, do you reckon? (The explanation that it was down to my root hub being at low voltage doesn't seem to tally, as my caddy always had its own power supply, even if the connection was irritatingly loose.) What say ye? [It's been an expensive business...:-(.]

With many thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom