Another new build up for review please

Didn't take it as rude or anything.

I still don't think the i7 is necessary. Try to remember, a lot of newer software suites are going more for GPGPU than anything. Photoshop and Autodesk utilize around 30% of my 580 and those programs don't even utilize 50% of my CPU. As an SMT apprentice, I work on machines that utilize blueprints made by people like you and others utilizing those programs. The last client I worked with was still using an i7 920 with a 560ti. Handled it perfectly, and the 4670k has way more throughput than the first gens. Can't really express how much HT doesn't make a difference besides absolute 100% CPU usage from programs that utilize it. Just don't forget, Haswell will have a refresh which you can upgrade to if necessary later, but I feel by the time you will need to upgrade there will be another 3-4 gens out.

Yet again, thanks for the response. I think I can rest easy now knowing my build is solid and will be able to handle anything I can throw at it for a good long while.

Now, the last thing on my mind (which may end up needing to go to another thread or a Google search, but I'm hitting here first to see if you've got a thread you can point me to): While I'm not new to building a PC and most things that go with it, I am fairly new to SSD and using it for OS installation... any advice? I.E. are there ever going to be programs that don't get installed to SSD? I'm sure common files (documents, etc) get saved off to the HDD, but what about other programs?

This pretty much sums everything up. Just don't do the utility thing.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f128/ssd-tweak-guide-236563/

Also, when you're in the services menu make sure to disable Microsoft Shadow Copy Provider and Volume Shadow Copy.

General rule of thumb, is very large game collections like Steam and Origin you put on your data drive. They can sit there and be fine without needing to be reinstalled and don't take up your SSD. If you work with really large files or record gameplay for long periods of time I would also use the HDD for that. I was recently working with high resolution scans of photographs and didn't realize I filled my SSD up with raw scans lol. Also, since you have a Corsair, I would get the Corsair SSD Toolbox and schedule to do a TRIM command every week or so at least. I have mine TRIM every 3 days. Other than that, just stray away from stupidity and you can basically treat it like a regular drive.

Oh yea, don't think you are missing out on speed with having most games on the HDD. There are only a few games that actually get an advantage of map loading from the SSD. A few that come to mind are BF3, Skyrim, Crysis 3, The Sims 3, and Stalker.

Wow, a few more internal settings than I expected, but once again I'm glad I asked the question. Thanks again for the response on this Mguire. You really are a huge help. Pretty sure that covers everything I can think of for now, but I'll be sure to search/post when I have more to ask.

If you are strictly "gaming" and using it as a typical home PC, you don't need an i7.

It's a just another opinion for ya.

Much appreciated, Yevrag. I'll be sticking with my i5 and OCing it. I've decided to do that in the very near future, so I went ahead and bought an aftermarket heatsink as well. I'd edit the first post, but I can't anymore for some reason. I went with that Zalman after all. I really really like the way it looks and would like to think that a few thousand reviews on Newegg can't be wrong. The CM Hyper 212 Evo that was recommended earlier has the same kinds of reviews (thousands of positives), but in the end aftermarket heatsinks are mostly user-choice/opinion type decisions (aside from the obvious negative reviews and off-brand junk). Disagree if you must, but again I like the way it looks.

It has that many reviews because it was popular before your 2007 rigs parts came to life man. That heatsink can't handle the heat a Haswell puts off which is why people (and myself) were telling you not to get it.

If you don't believe me, here is a picture of when I got its bigger brother the 9700 brand new when it was released. Look at the board, and think of when that phone was popular.
100_0708.jpg~original

I highly suggest NOT to overclock until later, and when you do buy a GOOD cooler. Start with an h80i as the smallest to OC. Don't buy on aesthetics when it comes to cooling. You'll regret it later.

Fair enough. Then other than the Cooler Master, what are some good coolers you can recommend? And forgive me for being stubborn. The good news is I can always return the Zalman before I even open the box, so no harm done aside from being stubborn and looking like an idiot on here.

Already gave you a recommendation. I would not put anything smaller on one of those chips to OC with. You can Google for OCing reviews with some people getting up to 100c on high end tower coolers. They just don't dissipate the heat quick enough.

derp... yes you did give me a recommendation. I'll take a look at that right now.

**Edit: So liquid, huh? I'm guessing from the images it's a stand-alone unit. Haven't had any experience with any form of liquid cooling. Any special considerations for it?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom