Buy RAM NOW!

PP Mguire

Build Guru
Hynix DRAM plant erupts in flames, entire industry affected | TweakTown

With Hynix down we are going to see a massive rise in RAM pricing like HDDs did during the flooding. If you are building, or on the edge of purchasing more DDR3, I suggest you do it now. Other flash based devices will see a slight increase, but not as much as RAM will since it was already on the rise. This just gives the competition (Elpida and Samsung) an excuse to raise prices.

No, just RAM. Hynix is a major player in the RAM industry, although they do provide flash chips for other devices. I don't think SSDs will have any problems, but DDR3 RAM will.

No, just RAM. Hynix is a major player in the RAM industry, although they do provide flash chips for other devices. I don't think SSDs will have any problems, but DDR3 RAM will.

Sweet deal, cause I am broke at the moment... will need to wait for a bigger HDD and get a SDD.

Wonder how this event will impact the next gen consoles though, really curious.

It won't at all.
The article said it would though... or did I misread it?
The facilities reportedly also manufactured all of the DRAM used in Apple products, as well as a significant portion of the GDDR5 memory used by AMD and NVIDIA in their graphics processing units. With this revelation, this could mean that production of next-generation consoles from Microsoft and Sony could be affected negatively.

Unless it is just adding that for dramatic effect :D

Hynix does make a lot of GDDR5, and IIRC are the only ones making the 7GHz units, but I don't think Hynix was used in the consoles. It would make more sense to use Samsung. Besides, the bulk of stock has been sitting in a warehouse already so if anything, they might get an increase in price later on. I personally feel that if the consoles were to be affected they might hold off sales of future units until Hynix can replenish, but like I said I don't think Hynix was used in the consoles.

If any graphics cards were to be affected, it would be future cards. If pricing increased on any currently released product other than RAM itself then they are just doing the same **** that happened when the floods hit WD.

memory has already gone up within the past year, A year ago from today I could get 4 gb of DDR3 for around $20. That same stick of memory today is going for $35. yes, Everybody is going to jump on price increases even more after this fire because they can claim they have too in order to meet the higher demand. Hard drive prices never have returned to the prices that they were before the floods in Thailand

Last edited:
Well this sucks.

Don't have a specific need for DDR3 yet, but hopefully I won't in the near future...

Back
Top Bottom