Hard Drive

BoredCollie

Solid State Member
Ever since I bought my first computer in 2001, I have had *endless* problems with hard disk drives. I kept taking my computer to the repair shop and they couldn't work it out; they had never encountered such problems with anyone else. Anyhow, much of this seemed to ebb away and in my new premises, with my computer some distance away from me (in the next room), I thought it had gone away permanently.

However, I have also had endless problems with external drive caddies. They always seem to have loose connections. Also all my usb connections come and go intermittently, especially when I have done an action that puts the computer under a sudden amount of strain -- it's really irritating. I used to have the same issues with my laptop and I was advised, on each occasion, to reinstall the OP (this was an effective measure, at least for a time); however this is my Desktop I'm talking about. It's an XP, with SP3 installed.

I wonder whether the poor connectivity of my caddie contributed to what happened yesterday. (It's quite an expensive caddie but I certainly had a hard go at the power connection on one occasion. I put a plug on it which, for a second or two, might have been the wrong way round, i.e. the wrong pins connecting. But I reversed it again and nothing happened -- that was about 3 weeks ago, and I've been using it a lot; and I put the original cable back, making sure it was the right way rounsd.) I suddenly started hearing strange noises from my external HDD. It wasn't the death click, but rather similar, involving a whirring; it was a constant repetition of the noise you hear when it starts up. After a while, this stopped. However, WIndows could no longer read the drive. I managed to recover almost all my data using a data recovery programme. This time I had to attach it to my computer via the internal connections; but in both cases the computer said it had to check the disk for consistency on bootup, and found it all unreadable.

Now I am a) thinking of performing a diagnostic test with Seatool (but can't get Seatool to run -- I think it might have been the installation; something popped up saying I had to undo some installation brought in with Service Pack 2); b) thinking of connecting my new hard drive internally, without the caddie.

My questions are as follows.

-- Are there any issues with regard to having my disk connected internally? Will my data be equally accessible and safe -- I mean, might power surges be an issue? Might it be more vulnerable to virus attacks or corruption is my C-drive fails again?

-- Is it plausible that something to do with my caddie and/or the things I have been doing with the connection, that caused the trouble with my old external drive?

-- Have I done the right thing by agreeing to undo whatever it was (to do with SP2) Seatool wanted undoing, when I installed Seatool?

With many thanks in advance.

-- Are there any issues with regard to having my disk connected internally? Will my data be equally accessible and safe -- I mean, might power surges be an issue? Might it be more vulnerable to virus attacks or corruption is my C-drive fails again?
depends on the type of drive and your motherboard. if you have an IDE interface and your motherboard has IDE connection ports, your good. If you have a sata drive and the board has extra sata ports, your good. If you have an IDE drive and your motherboard only has sata ports.....not good. Burning your data to a dvd disk is another way to back up, providing you do not have excessive amounts of data. DVD disks are not prone to failure the same way an external drive is

power surges should be taken care of by an electrician. If there's no real remedy then you can get a Universal Power Supply.
This will filter the voltage to your sensitive electronic parts so you do not get spikes or dips.

yes it is possible a virus can infect to the second drive, but not likely if there's no operating system on it

-- Is it plausible that something to do with my caddie and/or the things I have been doing with the connection, that caused the trouble with my old external drive?
If your having repeated issues with your hardware, You might want to have the electrical circuits checked in your house. A bad USB cable can cause similar issues too, try a new USB cable

-- Have I done the right thing by agreeing to undo whatever it was (to do with SP2) Seatool wanted undoing, when I installed Seatool?
You can get Seatools for DOS. I suggest that the best way to run a hard drive diagnostic is outside of windows.
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/
You download the .iso and use an .iso burning program to burn the .iso image to a disk. From there you set your pc to boot up to your cd-dvd drive in the bios, pop in the disk , reboot and follow the prompts. There's a guide on the link.

Last edited:
yes it is possible a virus can infect to the second drive, but not likely if there's no operating system on it

If your having repeated issues with your hardware, You might want to have the electrical circuits checked in your house. A bad USB cable can cause similar issues too, try a new USB cable

link.

Many thanks for the response. The USB cable is quite new; and the strange thing is that my mouse and keyboard and other things connected to my hub are also prone to failing, en masse, but the caddie was by far the worst. This is the third hub I've been using; I bought new ones because I thought that the hub might be to blame. Things like my scanner and my caddie generally decide they don't want to work unless they are connected to my hub, from boot-up, like my mouse and keyboard; but occasionally my caddie would decide the opposite -- it wouldn't work unless it was connected to a different USB port from my hub cable.

My electrical circuits are fully modern and are regularly inspected. I was wondering what would have caused the failure to read my hard drive -- all the repeated connecting and disconnecting of the circuitry, perhaps? I don't want it happening again.

Is it safer to from the point of view of data security to use the HDD as an external drive than to put it, without any OS, inside the computer?

BoredCollie said:
The USB cable is quite new; and the strange thing is that my mouse and keyboard and other things connected to my hub are also prone to failing, en masse, but the caddie was by far the worst. This is the third hub I've been using;
That, sounds to me, like there's an issue with the base usb ports giving the usb hub enough juice to power your devices. Are you using a powered usb hub or just one that only plugs in with a single or double usb cable?

Am still wondering, however, what on earth made my HDD fail, and whether it's likely to have been the caddie.

stop using a USB hub to run your peripherals

Does it cause a risk to data safety? It'd rather difficult to stop using one because my computer has to be in the other room, and I can't really have any ore cables coming from my computer through the door..

low voltages can damage parts, your voltages can drop when you use several things on one hub. You can get 4 port USB pci/pcie cards for less than $25.

Back
Top Bottom