Software hurting my Hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esse

In Runtime
First of all just for some background information, here are my system specs (woot, built it myself :)):

-------------------------------------------------
MotherBoard: ASUSTeK P4C800-E
3.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
1024 Megabytes Installed Memory
Mitsubishi DPro930SB [Monitor] 18''
Sapphire ATi X800XT Graphics Card
Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
NEC DVD_RW Drive
Western Digital 74.g 10,000 RPM Raptor
Seagate 160g 72,000 RPM
500w Logitech Z 650 5.1 Speakers
----------------------------------------------------

As you can see I spent a buttload of money to build this computer, so I treat it like a baby as much as I can so I clean it often (once or twice a weak). I am a frequent viewer of these forums and what I have found is that not every cleaning software program is the best, and usually one is better at finding something than the other and vice versa. Thus I went to www.download.com and started to download the newest and or best rated and reccomended Anti-Spyware/Adware/Virus Programs. The ones I downloaded were:

Ad-Aware SE Personal
ewido Secuirity Suite
Spy-Bot Search and Destroy
Spyware Doctor
Spy Sweeper
Spy Cleaner Gold
&
AVG 7.0 Anti Virus Protector

------------------------------------------------

I run ^ these programs one at a time because if I do it all at once it takes FOREVER to finish. I had a person tell me that by cleaning out my hard drive with all these programs it is lessening the life of my Hard Drives and just burning them up. If I run each one one at a time one after the other so they go by quickly and effectively, is this bad for my hard drives, as you can tell all I want to do is what is best for it so I have the best programs check it out. So my question is: Are these programs killing my harddrives?

Also I know this isn't the proper place to ask this but are Firewalls really nesessary?

Seagate 160g 72,000 RPM
lol a 72,000RPM drive huh? Must be loud :p I know you mean 7,200 though.

Anywho, generally really all you should need is a good popup blocker, Ad-aware SE, and Spybot. Although if you want UBER protection then get like a Cookie blocker so you can choose which ones go in the cookie storage, or get something like ZoneAlarm which is a firewall, it works rather well. If you get infect with something trying to connect outside your computer it'll recognize it and either stop it immediately or ask for you permission with what to do. ZoneAlarm has a free trial with it and I find it to be a pretty dern good Firewall as it also blocks bad cookies, popups, intrusions, and any info trying to get out.

Technically booting up windows is 'lessening the life' of your hard drives, so who ever told you that by running those will kill your HD, well simply put this isn't true. I mean don't get me wrong, if you're running ALL those apps daily, then your HD is getting a LOT more use than normal since the needle is moving rapidly looking for every little file it can find.

I understand you spent a lot on your computer, but really all you need is just Ad-aware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and a good popupblocker whith ZoneAlarm can do and also provides a good firewall. With that do checks on your hard drive like every two weeks and that should be sufficient enough to keep it clean.

Your other alternative is to stop going to those pr0n websites you visit :p that's where all your most malicious spyware comes from lol

.....not that I would know on personal experience or anything...I mean uhh....DOH! ::runs!::

hehe, anywho, let me know if you need any other info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom