Another new build up for review please

you should use your 680's from your old rig, it will beat that 760 by far.

I assume you can't or else you would have done that, but incase your having a brain fart, a 680 will beat a 760.

you should use your 680's from your old rig, it will beat that 760 by far.

I assume you can't or else you would have done that, but incase your having a brain fart, a 680 will beat a 760.

That's the motherboard. The GPU is/was an 8800...

I don't agree with the edits honestly. Are you actually going to send in for all these rebates, and understand that you don't get cash back?

The rebates aren't included in the prices listed. There are only 3, totaling $50. Yes I'll be sending in for them. It's my understanding that they're basically pre-paid Visa cards. I do enough online shopping that it won't be much of a problem. The real question I guess I'm asking is "is there a significant difference in quality by going with MSI vs. eVGA for GPU / B85 vs. Z87 / Patriot Viper 3 vs. Corsair XMS3?" Am I really better off spending a little extra for the companies whose names I recognize, or is the trade-off so insignificant that it shouldn't matter?

EDIT** Forgot the PSU, TX650M vs. HX750? The thermal paste was less of an edit and more of a "link included" change.

Last edited:
That's the motherboard. The GPU is/was an 8800...

The rebates aren't included in the prices listed. There are only 3, totaling $50. Yes I'll be sending in for them. It's my understanding that they're basically pre-paid Visa cards. I do enough online shopping that it won't be much of a problem. The real question I guess I'm asking is "is there a significant difference in quality by going with MSI vs. eVGA for GPU / B85 vs. Z87 / Patriot Viper 3 vs. Corsair XMS3?" Am I really better off spending a little extra for the companies whose names I recognize, or is the trade-off so insignificant that it shouldn't matter?
Last time I had any rebates I got credit for Newegg, not a pre-paid Visa which I was expecting. Somebody else has recenty purchased and sent in for rebates would have to comment on that but mine was in Feb of this year.

I don't agree with the B85 vs the Z87 myself. You have listed a K CPU of which is kind of wasted in the cheaper motherboard for not having overclocking abilities. Unless you went with a cheaper i5 I say stick with the Extreme4. That way there if you ever had the need to overclock you could simply buy a good cooler and be on your way. By the time that happens, I don't think there will be any Z87 boards for sale still.

To the RAM, I owned basically the same Patriot kit except the heat spreaders were blue and it was a 32GB kit. They were fantastic but since I got the Kingston in for review I went ahead and sold the Patriot for the faster bigger kit (obviously).

To the GPU, I still try to convince people to stick with eVGA for their warranty and customer service. Usually my argument is on a reference board and cooler, but it appears 4GB reference cards have disappeared.

I have no objections over the PSU. I own an HX850 and I'm super pleased with the whole Corsair lineup.

Now, to be quite frank, your case, PSU, and cooler are all perfectly fine for this new build. I would still buy a tube of paste if you don't have any, and if you want to use the TRUE you would need to buy a new bracket which should only cost 5 bucks from the company (if not free).

Thanks for the info on the rebate cards. Even if it's Newegg, I can just use it to go towards the cooler later (maybe even a Noctua NH-D14!)

The more expensive board offers more USB posts/ports, and I ran into the problem on my old rig where the case has 3 sets of USB ports on the front and only enough posts for 2 sets, 1 of which was stolen by my multi-card reader that isn't listed. So I was leaning towards the Z87 anyhow, just needed the extra nudge.

The RAM is a slight price difference, and if you couldn't tell I'm leaning more and more towards Corsair. They just have quality products and a strong name in the industry. Not that I'm a fan boy, but they've been around/recommended for longer than I could shake a stick at.

The GPU, glad you mentioned that. I hadn't thought about it, but that extra $20 does buy a LOT in terms of warranty. I had a friend who fried a GPU, called them, sent it in (I think, maybe he didn't even have to do that) and they replaced it at no charge. Granted it wasn't that he was OCing it that fried it, it just went out.

On the PSU, I'd rather have it and not need it... 750 did seem a bit overkill for this build but it's a nice bit of built-in head room for OCing later. And after rebates, the HX650 and HX750 come out the same.

I'm buying the paste because mine is 6-years old (if I can even find it), and the case is already a done deal (I'd picked it out 4 years ago when it came out but never got around to needing it for a build). When I saw a price drop on Amazon a while back, I jumped. I won't be using the TRUE from my old build. Even though it's old and has gone through a GPU and about 4 HDDs, I re-installed the OS and it works just fine. I can use it in the garage for my CNC milling and 3D printing and use this new rig for gaming =D

In conclussion, off to page 1 for re-edits =D

Thanks for the info on the rebate cards. Even if it's Newegg, I can just use it to go towards the cooler later (maybe even a Noctua NH-D14!)

The more expensive board offers more USB posts/ports, and I ran into the problem on my old rig where the case has 3 sets of USB ports on the front and only enough posts for 2 sets, 1 of which was stolen by my multi-card reader that isn't listed. So I was leaning towards the Z87 anyhow, just needed the extra nudge.

The RAM is a slight price difference, and if you couldn't tell I'm leaning more and more towards Corsair. They just have quality products and a strong name in the industry. Not that I'm a fan boy, but they've been around/recommended for longer than I could shake a stick at.

The GPU, glad you mentioned that. I hadn't thought about it, but that extra $20 does buy a LOT in terms of warranty. I had a friend who fried a GPU, called them, sent it in (I think, maybe he didn't even have to do that) and they replaced it at no charge. Granted it wasn't that he was OCing it that fried it, it just went out.

On the PSU, I'd rather have it and not need it... 750 did seem a bit overkill for this build but it's a nice bit of built-in head room for OCing later. And after rebates, the HX650 and HX750 come out the same.

I'm buying the paste because mine is 6-years old (if I can even find it), and the case is already a done deal (I'd picked it out 4 years ago when it came out but never got around to needing it for a build). When I saw a price drop on Amazon a while back, I jumped. I won't be using the TRUE from my old build. Even though it's old and has gone through a GPU and about 4 HDDs, I re-installed the OS and it works just fine. I can use it in the garage for my CNC milling and 3D printing and use this new rig for gaming =D

In conclussion, off to page 1 for re-edits =D
Don't waste your money on expensive tower coolers. Better off with an AIO Hydro later on down the road.

Yea, my deal is, you have a K CPU, might as well get the Z87. You can always buy add in cards to give you extra USB room.

This is another RAM option which is only 2 bucks more than the Patriot after rebate.
Kingston HyperX Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX16C9B1BK2/8 - Newegg.com
I have a friend with that kit, looks and works great.

Yea **** happens. I've just had to deal with MSI not only on a one on one basis, but sending stuff back like my old 790FX GD70 and 2 video cards. Wasn't a pleasant experience. I know not everybody has the same CS experience, but usually all I hear is good things about dealing with eVGA, along with my own experience. They replaced a 280 I had water cooled, OCd, and fried lol. They even offered to replace my old P55 FTW knowing I had done subzero cooling with it. All they wanted me to do was try to bend all the pins back to look fine but there were too many bent pins. They didn't care that the socket had jelly in it, eraser residue, and components melted off the back of the socket. Top notch IMO.

As nobody has mentioned, you don't even need 650w really. You're just paying for extra headroom. I just typically tell people 650w because it gives a lot in flexibility. In all honesty, you could run the rig you have listed easily on a Seasonic 550w G series. If you want to pay for an HX, that's up to you. I try not to argue as long as the person is still buying quality parts.

Long as the paste you have still flows, it's still usable. They don't have a shelf life unless the cap is left off and it dries up. I've had my AS5 for 7 years now. More than likely the MX-4 will be better anyways.

Well that settles it. I like Corsair, but I like Kingston just as much and for $17 less, guess where my money's going =D

Thanks a ton for the help guys! Just did the final update on the front page to reflect the purchase that's about to go through on Newegg as soon as I submit this reply. I'll be posting pics of the build once the parts come in (I've got some old wire sleeving left over that I'll be doing some cable management with).

Back
Top Bottom