Another new build up for review please

anime_dude07

In Runtime
As the title states, here's another new build (I know, you guys get these all the time) for your review. My goal is to costs without cutting performance. I know most people suggest better products for the same price, but if I can get similar quality out of less money, that's what I need to do. However, if there's something that is outrageously better quality for the same price, I'm open to those suggestions too. Also, I put this list together by piecing together similar-looking builds and the recommendations made by other members (PP Mguire, you rock!). So without any further stalling for time, let's get to why I'm posting =D

**FINAL EDIT**
**THIS ORDER WILL BE PLACED BY THE TIME YOU READ THIS NOTICE**

CASE: CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced Blue Edition [already own, bought in anticipation of this build]
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K [$239.99]
Heatsink: Undecided
Thermal Paste: ARCTIC MX-4 (20g) [$19.99]
MOBO: ASRock Z87 EXTREME4 [$139.99]
Network Card: TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 [$42.99]
RAM: Kingston HyperX Black series 8GB (2x4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM [$56.99]
SSD: Corsair Neutron Series GTX 2.5” 120GB SATA III [$119.99]
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 6.0/Gb/s 3.5” [$99.99]
GPU: eVGA GeForce GTX 760 FTW 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 [$319.99]
PSU: Corsair HX750 750W ATX12V v2.3 [$129.99]
Optical: LITE-ON DVD Burner – Bulk [$17.99]
Monitor: ACER G226HQLBbd Black 21.5" 5ms LED LCD Widescreen [$109.99 x 2]
Input: Corsair Vengeance M65 [$59.99] / K70 [$109.99] / Razer Carcharias [$79.99]

Totals (before rebates on Newegg)
BASE: $1187.90
PERIPHERALS: $469.95
Budget Goal (for BASE): $1000

END RESULT: OVER-BUDGET
FINAL PURCHASE PRICE: $1657.85 + $9.45 S&H

The input devices aren't absolutely necessary but they make me happy so I'm not likely to change them, but I am open to suggestions.

So where's my money ill-spent and/or where can I cut costs?

Last edited:
PatonB suggestions are good. Obviously, if you're not planning to overclock, then the cooler is a waste of time.

These would be my suggestions to shave some money off:
AsRock B85 Pro4
Patriot Viper 3 - 8GB (2x4) 1600

Saves you about $90, and can do the same thing.
If you only want to spend a grand on everything, then you may have to start downgrading some stuff like only getting the 2GB version of the 760 instead of the 4GB.

About the monitor, I highly suggest if you manage to squeeze out $30 more is to get this one: Amazon.com: Asus VS229H-P 22-Inch-Class (21.5") LED Monitor: Computers & Accessories
Beautiful monitor, for not a bad price.

EDIT: Here's the lowest combination I could put together, grabbing parts from pretty much anywhere. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1zzT5

Base total would still about $1100, and only $1085 if you went the monitor you chose.

Last edited:
@PatonB: Sadly, the CM heatsink you linked doesn't say it will fit the CPU (LGA 1150 socket), but I'll take the advice that it's crap at least =)

Also, PSU updated in first post. Thanks for the suggestion!

@Yevrag35: Haven't decided on OCing anything yet, but it's not likely. I'm not THAT much of a techie and my time is very valuable lately. So chances are I won't, and if I do I can just buy a heatsink then. Makes sense.

Could you explain (even in basic terms) the trade-offs I'd be looking at on the other items you suggested? Just curious what the pros/cons are for each item and the suggested replacement.

Last edited:
anime_dude07 said:
Could you explain (even in basic terms) the trade-offs I'd be looking at on the other items you suggested? Just curious what the pros/cons are for each item and the suggested replacement.
Sorry I forgot to add the SSD back onto the list. The base total jumps back up to $1220 and $1205 respectively.

That partpicker build really just finds the best prices around (they're not all from the same site).
CPU: same
Mobo: Short one pci-e 3.0 slot, Short 4 Sata ports, short 4 usb3.0 ports, short 3 audio ports, and short a couple of various other connectors.
RAM: As long as it works, it's fine in my opinion.
HDD: Same but cheaper
PSU: Step up for less
ODD: cheaper

Do I really need the 750W? On Newegg, I can get the TX650M for the same price after mail-in rebate. RAM looks good. The latency is respectable and it's a good brand (almost put a Patriot set of RAM in the original post). HDD might have to wait a little bit depending on where I can get it from. Same with the optical. While I'm trying to be a miser with my money, my purchasing options are fairly limited for a while. So without all peripherals it should come out to roughly 1100. Seems doable. I'll wait a little while longer to see if anybody else chimes in, but I picked apart some other posts pretty heavily to get the parts list at the top.

anime_dude07 said:
Do I really need the 750W? On Newegg, I can get the TX650M for the same price after mail-in rebate.
The HX series is their professional series vs the TX (enthusiast series). It's 80+Gold, so 90% efficiency and 7-year warranty vs 85% and 5-years. In my opinion, it's better for the same amount of money, the fact that it has a higher max wattage is just icing on the cake ;).
PatonB said:
1150 and 1155 are the same arn't they? Last I checked they were.
Nope, they're different sockets. 1155 = 2nd+3rd gen Intel CPU's.
1150= 4th gen Intel CPU's.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom