dell desktop contstantly shutting down

Can you go into setup and set date back a month or so when it was working ?

Yes you can, look for the time and date settings and follow the directions to change the time and date correctly.
I think its page up and down keys to change, havent touched a dell 2400 for awhile.
Save your settings and be sure to reboot.
if the changes were not saved and storing correctly, follow through with joes comment about the cmos battery problem.
Go back to best buy, take your cmos battery with you, tell them you need a replacement.
They should be able to get one if they have it in stock.
Also if your computer persists to shut down after 2 or 3 minutes of booting up.
Do what wilson suggested and get your cpu grease reapplied or risk over heating damages.

Last edited:
I went ahead and replaced the CMOS battery. It worked so now iam back to just the one original problem. Computer shuts down at will all lights on back of computer are green no beeping sounds no set up utility message light on front of computer goes from green to amberI still thInk its the psu. Hey man can't thank you enough for all your help I sincerly mean that. Thanks

Hmm I don't know what may going wrong with your dell.
The only thing I would check now is the cpu and put on some new grease.
Also check inside the case and make sure the mobo is seated and grounded right.
If any of the wires are loose and dangling around, that maybe the real problem and stopping it from booting.
Don't know why most dell desktops have that in some weird issue. >_>

I personally suggest you look into gutting out the old mobo/cpu/ram and go for something more up to date.
If your interested set a price budget and I'll see what I can get you.

That's because newer boards have a 24 pin connector. They make the main board rail from the power supply universal for 20 and 24 pin boards

Back
Top Bottom