Trying to get an OS on an old IBM server.

Lemonade1947

Solid State Member
I aquired an old Server from a friend that I hope to use to host my website.
The exact model is a IBM eServer xSeries 300.

Understand that I am young and this whole experience is more to learn than anything. However i thought it would be a lot easier since I'd have known what i was doing if it hadn't been for all this.

so basicly the server will not boot from disk. Every time it says failure. The disk in question is a Debian boot disk that i burnt myself. I know it works because i have tried it in a virtual machine.

After a long afternoon of reburning disks and trying them i came to the assumption that the drive was either broken or wasn't communicating with the servers motherboard correctly.

I then tried a PXE boot, I could not get this to work, however the server is definitely capable of doing so. I got as far as getting it on a dhcp network with This Tutorial.

So basicly i reached the end of my own knowledge/patience and decided that i needed some outside help. I need a way to either get the opdrive working or a guaranteed way of PXEing it.

i have very little knowledge of the backend of computers, bios etc. not because i don't want to know, but because i've never had an opportunity to learn.

EDIT: booting from a usb didn't work

Last edited:
Why not try replacing the disk drive? Or try creating a bootable flashdrive (if you're doing a Linux distro, you can use Unetbootin).

How does the USB flash drive thing work? I'm not sure if the bios supports booting from usb as this was not listed in the boot menu.

It sometimes will only pop up in the boot menu when a flash drive plugged in.

Use Unetbootin to create the bootable flash drive using the ISO you downloaded for the CD.

I'm guessing it doesn't have the option to boot off of USB?

I would suggest just replacing the CD drive or borrow one from a different computer.

Back
Top Bottom