Trying to Repair my fried computer

foggy12

Beta member
I shall give the most detailed run down of events as possible which ran up to my issue.
I was playing Battlefield 3, everything was running smoothly fine fps etc.
I had a cpu temperature monitor running which told me my cpu was over 20 deg c. under reaching critical levels at the time of playing.
Soon after playing my computer stopped entirely, refused to reboot and a funky burning smell emitted from my computer ( the whereabouts I could not distinctly pin point) but given the evidence I assumed that my PSU had burnt out especially considering I could not power up the machine after the incident.
Skip forward a bit and I have purchased a new more powerful PSU (750 watt as opposed to the previous 700 watt just in case that was a critical issue).
Being a certified mong I had messed around with the cabling on the motherboard with little idea what I was actually doing and when it came to connect my new PSU I connected everything which I thought it needed however I was once again greeted with the failure to boot up.
The point of this thread is to pin point whether the failure to start up is due to my incompetence with connecting my PSU or another component gone bust.

I have provided an album of some pictures of the cabling inside my computer, if anything is amiss or wrong please inform me.

motherboard connections - Imgur

Specs:
GPU : EVGA 570
PSU: CORSAIR 750W
CPU: i5 3570K (water cooled)
motherboard: cant remeber off the top of my head I can investigate if needs be.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I was playing Battlefield 3, everything was running smoothly fine fps etc.
I had a cpu temperature monitor running which told me my cpu was over 20 deg c. under reaching critical levels at the time of playing.
Soon after playing my computer stopped entirely, refused to reboot and a funky burning smell emitted from my computer
Specs:

CPU: i5 3570K (water cooled)
motherboard: cant remeber off the top of my head I can investigate if needs be.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Have you considered checking your cpu ?
Take off of your watercooling system and check your cpu.
If that cpu has any burn marks or what not, you warrenty is now voided and intel will not help you.

Also look closely at your mother near the cpu and i/o part there should be a white label with a serial number.
Copy that and google or bing it and let us know what kind of mobo you have.

I have narrowed down the issue in fact to my GPU after all of this.
Curiously as the card is a EVGA GTX 570HD it requires 2 PCI-E 6 pin connections in order to fully power it.
When I plug in the upper 6 pin slot the PC will not start. With just the lower one connected the computer starts the card fan spins etc, but the card does not output to the monitor.
I have a spare GPU which I am in fact using to write this post! A step up from my pesky iphone.
I feel as if sending back the GPU and try to swindle a warranty from EVGA is my best bet for now unless you guys have any better plans?

I have narrowed the problem down the GPU
When I plug in the top 6 pin cable into the GPU the computer fails to start. Is there anything I can do about this at home or is it a warranty claim jobby?

I have narrowed the problem down the GPU
When I plug in the top 6 pin cable into the GPU the computer fails to start. Is there anything I can do about this at home or is it a warranty claim jobby?

Don't do anything to the card, call the manufacturer and see what they can or cannot do for you.
If they tell you no for warranty/rma support your buying a new vga card soon.

Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom