3770k vs 4770 z77 vs 87 motherboard?

gthirty7s

Baseband Member
hey guys whats going on
i was going to purchase a i3770k cpu
and i saw that the new 4770k came out (im outdated)
so now i dont know which one to get
i see that the benchmarks are very similar
and the prices are similar
which one would you get and which motherboard+cpu combo
would you guys suggest

If it's for a gaming rig, neither, otherwise obviously the 4770k.

My personal preference from experience is ASRock, so their Z87 Extreme4 is a good start.

Mguire likes AsRock, i like MSI for motherboards.

check out the MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming motherboard.

Fun fact, I originally wanted the MSI Big Bang X79 for the 128GB of RAM support and 22 phase VRM. I thought the machine gun and bullet clip **** was too tacky, as was the price.

is it a much better decision going with 4770k over 3770k?
i hear that overclock is not so good on 4770k and running hot?
or its the older review when the chip just came out?

found a combo deal on new egg 4770k with asus pro z87 mobo for $489
good price?

can someone maybe get me better and cheaper combination with 3770k?

They both run hot. The 3770k and 3570k run hot overclocked due to the IHS not being soldered directly to the cores. The 4670k and 4770k run hot overclocked because most of the VRM is on the chip. So either way, they both pretty much will net you a 4.4-4.6Ghz overclock if you have real good cooling. To be quite frank, none of the chips listed require an overclock for anything right now.

A 4770k and ASRock Extreme4 would be 478 without a combo. IMO, the Asus Z87 Pro is overpriced for what you get, plus the poop yellow is rather ugly.

If you're willing to pay the money, there is no point in spending in a dead platform. Considering, they will cost relatively the same.

Edit: Oh yea one more thing to note. Don't overspend on a motherboard, as it's rather pointless when even the basic Z boards offer the fundamental features that come with the chipset. More expensive boards give you only a few extra things. More SATA, more possible USB3, an extra PCI-E 16x slot, or even more of the latter, disregarding epeen from wasting money. For example, The Extreme4 offers not 2 but 3 full 16x PCI-E 3.0 slots, while also offering the same amount of SATA as the Asus, yet the Asus only has 2 16x 3.0 slots and is 60 bucks more. Almost any Z board will give you the same overclock unless you're going for the extreme under LN2, in which case money shouldn't be an issue anyways.

Last edited:
Asus is my least favorite board manufacturer. I have owned basically every major motherboard manufacturer;

Asus
AsRock
MSI
EVGA
Gigabyte

I have never been more pleased with a motherboard than I currently am with my MSI z87-GD65 Gaming motherboard. Asrock is my second favorite after MSI.

Do you have a microcenter near you?

I unfortunately can add Biostar, ECS, Foxconn, Supermicro, and Zotac to my list. My favorite being DFI, but they don't make consumer boards anymore :(

found a microcenter not too far from me
thinking about doing some shopping tomorrow

so you guys sure best thing is to get 4770k over 3770k?
and which motherboard should i go with?
im not a big gamer but i will be using the computer for games
extracting large files and video editing

Back
Top Bottom