new to pc gaming need advice

nme2119

Beta member
ok so i've never bought a gaming pc before as ive always just played xbox but i've got some money burning a hole in my pocket so i'm getting a pc

i'm really not looking to spend more than 1200 bucks and i would like a prebuilt pc that will play pretty much any game on good to high settings...most importantly battlefield 3-4
so far what i've found that looks appealing is: Customize CyberPower Z87 Configurator Gaming PC

the only thing i would be using it for is gaming and i do need to get a monitor that's gonna cost like $200ish

also i should note that i know building your own pc will save money but id really rather just go with prebuilt...oh and i have no idea what im doing when it comes to buying a decent pc:silly:

gotta go to work in 10 mins sorry for the bad grammar and thanks for any help

U would want to build 1 for urself, those prebuilt ones are CRAP and not worth ur money. Also its not that hard to build 1 as well, plenty of videos around the net. Let me build u a list and see what everyone else thinks.

Motherboard: Newegg.com - ASRock H87M Pro4 LGA 1150 Intel H87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-4430 Haswell 3.0GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54430

GPU: EVGA 02G-P4-3667-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti FTW 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.com

PSU: SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

HDD: Seagate ST310005N1A1AS-RK 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Newegg.com

SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Newegg.com

RAM: Kingston HyperX Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX16C9B1BK2/8X - Newegg.com

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF series RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

DVD drive: LITE-ON Model iHAS124-04 DVD Burner - Bulk Black - Newegg.com

Windows 7: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Newegg.com

Total with shipping *depending where u are* about 1,080 so u have about 120 dollars for the monitor I'm not good with monitors but I can try to link 1 and see what people on here thinks....

Monitor for 5 dollars more and seems like a solid monitor: ASUS VE Series VE208T Black 20" 1600x900 5ms LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor w/Speakers 250 cd/m2 ASCR 10,000,000:1 - Newegg.com

I think I got everything down, let's wait on everyone especially PP to see what they think.

Look at any other threads in this section about people (for the first time as well) wanting to buy a new gaming PC, and you'll see the obvious benefits to building your own. The quality and prices that you get from building your own versus buying pre-manufactured are major reasons, yes, but other ones would also be the knowledge and fun you'd get out of it after you're finished.

That being said, what's your budget?

ok so i've never bought a gaming pc before as ive always just played xbox but i've got some money burning a hole in my pocket so i'm getting a pc

i'm really not looking to spend more than 1200 bucks and i would like a prebuilt pc that will play pretty much any game on good to high settings...most importantly battlefield 3-4
so far what i've found that looks appealing is: Customize CyberPower Z87 Configurator Gaming PC

the only thing i would be using it for is gaming and i do need to get a monitor that's gonna cost like $200ish

also i should note that i know building your own pc will save money but id really rather just go with prebuilt...oh and i have no idea what im doing when it comes to buying a decent pc:silly:

gotta go to work in 10 mins sorry for the bad grammar and thanks for any help

Hi and welcome to the forums. I also used to primarily play Xbox. I received help from these forums and got myself a PC for both gaming and game design since I personally don't know much about PC's.

I took a look at the link you gave and have some suggestions based on a number of other threads and first time builders (including myself).

To start, the GPU (gtx 650) needs to be upgraded and should be a HUGE focus. If you want to play on higher settings I would recommend getting something like a 760 or higher (770, 680.. higher if you want but these should suffice)

Also, you don't really need Liquid Cooling unless you plan to overclock or you prefer/want it for a much quieter pc, then nevermind ^_^

Last but definitely important, that cyberpower PC has 'Standard Power Supply' checked and didn't see a name. It is important to invest in a high quality (name brand) power supply unit to ensure it lasts and won't crap out on you.

A standard no-name power supply unit can fail and take part of your pc down with it. A PC being an investment, you want to ensure it has the power it needs.

He said no more than 1,200, thats why I made the list... does it look good?

No idea. Not much of a builder myself ^_^

Last edited:
He said no more than 1,200, thats why I made the list... does it look good?
Yeah I missed that, whoops.

Anyway, I would strive to get this GTX 760 though: Newegg.com - EVGA 04G-P4-3768-KR GeForce GTX 760 FTW 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card w/ EVGA ACX Cooler
Pay for it by getting this motherboard instead: ASRock B75 PRO3-M LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com and ditching the DVD drive.

Edit: Also, I highly suggest this monitor (it's little extra money, but SO worth it in my opinion) http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VS229H-P...TF8&qid=1377180222&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+229-h

Last edited:
U would want to build 1 for urself, those prebuilt ones are CRAP and not worth ur money. Also its not that hard to build 1 as well, plenty of videos around the net. Let me build u a list and see what everyone else thinks.

Motherboard: Newegg.com - ASRock H87M Pro4 LGA 1150 Intel H87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-4430 Haswell 3.0GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54430

GPU: EVGA 02G-P4-3667-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti FTW 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.com

PSU: SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

HDD: Seagate ST310005N1A1AS-RK 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Newegg.com

SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Newegg.com

RAM: Kingston HyperX Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX16C9B1BK2/8X - Newegg.com

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF series RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

DVD drive: LITE-ON Model iHAS124-04 DVD Burner - Bulk Black - Newegg.com

Windows 7: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Newegg.com

Total with shipping *depending where u are* about 1,080 so u have about 120 dollars for the monitor I'm not good with monitors but I can try to link 1 and see what people on here thinks....

Monitor for 5 dollars more and seems like a solid monitor: ASUS VE Series VE208T Black 20" 1600x900 5ms LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor w/Speakers 250 cd/m2 ASCR 10,000,000:1 - Newegg.com

I think I got everything down, let's wait on everyone especially PP to see what they think.

Yeah I missed that, whoops.

Anyway, I would strive to get this GTX 760 though: Newegg.com - EVGA 04G-P4-3768-KR GeForce GTX 760 FTW 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card w/ EVGA ACX Cooler
Pay for it by getting this motherboard instead: ASRock B75 PRO3-M LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com and ditching the DVD drive.

Edit: Also, I highly suggest this monitor (it's little extra money, but SO worth it in my opinion) Amazon.com: Asus VS229H-P 22-Inch-Class (21.5") LED Monitor: Computers & Accessories
These 2. Ditch the 660ti for that 760, ditch the H87 for the B85, and then when you're at it ditch the M1211 for the S1211 so you can afford the Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB SSD or Samsung 840Pro instead.

To put it blunt, it's not that building your own PC saves you money. It's that pre-built companies overcharge you for the stuff you get. As you can see with the list available, you can get a lot more performance wise for the money. There is a ridiculous difference between the power of a 650 and a 760. A ridiculous difference. There is also a ridiculous difference in the speed of having an SSD compared to not having an SSD.

thanks for all the help guys im starting to lean torwards building my own, im sure you will hear from me again as im inevitably gonna mess something up. lol

Back
Top Bottom