On how many computers can I legally install XP/Office/Norton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

True_Orb

Daemon Poster
I'd much prefer to use the hundreds of dollars of old software I have, but I have heard a lot of mixed answers to this question, at least for XP.
Some say 1, some say 3, some say infinite.

one on your desktop and one on your laptop you use for "work".

anything more is illegal unless your license stats otherwise. READ THE LICENSE or call the manufacture if you have any questions.

(now that the legal stuff is taken care of)

why do you care how many you can install? this for a business or home use?

Legaly, you can only install 1 per machine. There is a 3 machine liscene offered by MS of XP for students I think, but I could be wrong. Office is the same way and so is norton. It's a per machine liscen agreement.
You can buy more than one license and get a discount I believe, but you might be best to talk with MS\Symantec and get the details...

edit--- Please excuse bad spelling... too lazy to fix it...

Actually Inaris,

back when I used to work for a local retail computer supply store, I spoke with Microsoft for a customer...asking what the deal is.

They told me that if they purchase a software package like Office, they are legally entitled to install it on their desktop computer and laptop computer....not two desktops. They feel that having it installed like that, they are using it for work and work at home. ... not sure if i'm explaining it correctly..its been a long day..

OK well if it runs on multiple comps either way I am not too concerned, but I thought I would ask.
Thanks.

I think it's one, but look at your license, usually eula.txt or license.txt in the root folder of the application and/or CD-ROM. It also shows up during setup. There's a paragraph somewhere in there that tells you the specifics.

//not that I read all the EULA/licenses...

rollincatera is right. legally you can install it on 1 desktop and 1 laptop. microsoft states that as long as the person using it on the desktop & laptop is the same person and that person does not let anyone else use it or he doesn't use both at the same time ...it's legal. If anybody else wants to use it they need an additional license. but than again nobody really cares. nobody is going to send you to jail if you break these terms. and why do they have fast user switching in xp if only 1 person per license?

I've been told in the past that you are allowed to install Winodows operating systems on one desktop computer and one laptop computer (you get to install it on both the desktop AND laptop with one license ONLY though). I am not sure how Symantec treats that situation though.

-Dan The Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom