Gaming build, need help

I pulled the trigger and ordered all the parts. I've received about half of the components and should receive the rest tomorrow. I'm just starting to watch Youtube tutorial videos and have not yet read any of the manials.

For some reason i thought the CPU was 1155 and the motherboard 1150 and i was going to ask if they were compatable. It seems the 2 full bottles of red win i have consumed have made me dilussional.

The CPU and motherboard are both 1150. For some odd reason i thought one was 1150 and the other 1155 and i was going to ask if they were compatable or not. So i have edited the post and clarified.

Don't drink and build people! :) Even though i'm not that stupid. I'm just watching some basic tutorials and not touching any components yet. I'll prolly have to re-watch all the videos again once i sober up.

Last edited:
Also i ordered a new CPU cooler since a video said the stock CPU fans were decent enough but you should usually get an aftermarket since there not that expensive. I didnt want to get a liquid one since i was worried about it leaking and ruining parts and the H60 you recomended was 60 bucks and looked a bit more complicated than this one i found for 28 bucks "cooler master hyper t4" would you say that was a good decision or not. I don't plan on overclocking so i'm sure i would have been just fine with the stock fan but for 25 bucks i figured why not. I also want to confirm if it is compatable.

I went with your recomendation and got a HAF X case and i suspect the extra money was not necisarry but it looks beutiful and i'm glad you recomended it.

Last edited:
I think the T4 might have been a bad decision. I'm reading reviews specifically about the T4 and it has a lot of complaints. I should have gone with the 212 plus or just a liquid cooled one like you suggested. It was the only cheaper one i found that mentioned being 1150 compatable though but ive read that anything that fits 1155 also fits 1150. Oh well. I'll prolly just install it anyways and maby upgrade to something better later if i want

Send it back, you really don't need an aftermarket cooler for these chips if you're not overclocking. They will run a tad warm but remember that Haswell has part of the VRM circuitry built in to the chip. So although the cores run cooler they will appear to run warmer because of this.

The AIO coolers like the H60/ect are sealed. I recommend those so much because they have a pretty clean track record of not busting. Sure, it's possible, but as possible as a tower cooler snapping or cracking your board.

To specifically comment on the T4, it should work for a stock replacement.

I got the computer built and its running great. Thanks so much for your help! I saved money and learned some stuff along the way. Surprised how easy it was to put together. A few Youtube vids to find out how to install everything and then reading the motherboard manual to figure out where all the wires plug into. Glad i took the steps needed to build my first computer because i will never buy a pre-built again.

Thank you so much! I love the new computer and it plays games great!

Thanks again for all your help m8.

I have a question. Do i need a bigger power supply?

In addition to the components listed i also installed the h60 cpu cooler you suggested and i plan to get a second fan for it, push/pull. In addition i have 3 200mm fans and a 230mm fan and a 80mm fan. A dvd drive, and a blue ray drive. A 2tb external hard drive and i will probably be getting another 3tb internal hard drive. All the fans are running full speed but i do plan to get a fan controller to lower the speeds. Also i have the cpu fan running full speed. Is the CPU fan supposed to be running full speed?

Nope. That PSU is plenty big enough for that setup.

If it's the stock fan that came with the H60, it's probably a good idea to keep it on full speed. Although, the bios should control it depending on where you have it plugged into the board. If you are using an adapter for full speed, then that's fine too.

Thanks m8, i just wanted to make sure i wasnt overloading the power supply.

If i could bug you some more i was wondering if i should change the directions of any of the fans. I have the Haf-x case with a 230mm intake in the front and a 200 mm intake on the side. It has 2 200 mm exhaust on the top and it had an exhaust on the rear but i now have the h60 radiator attached to the rear as an intake. Should i adjust any of the fan directions?

Back
Top Bottom