Can't expand space on C drive >.<

Jayteescout

In Runtime
I have 100 GB's that used to belong to a partition that I no longer need. There seems to be no way to expand the C drive to incorporate the 100GB's! I've tried all that disk management freeware with no success. Any incites would be helpful, thank you in advance. I'm running Windows 7 home premium 64 bit

I have 100 GB's that used to belong to a partition that I no longer need. There seems to be no way to expand the C drive to incorporate the 100GB's! I've tried all that disk management freeware with no success. Any incites would be helpful, thank you in advance. I'm running Windows 7 home premium 64 bit

Tried a GParted LiveCD?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TechForums

Just tried it, it produced the same problem I have had with all the freeware: Can't expand C: - YouTube

Can't watch your video as I'm at work, but looking at the GParted screen, I'm going to make my suggestions based off of assumptions. Correct me on anything if I'm wrong.

But if SDA7 is the 100GB you're talking about that you want to get rid of... Then do this:

1. Delete the SDA7 partition (100GB inside the SDA3 extended partition).
2. Move the SDA3 extended partition away from SDA2 (your C: drive I'm assuming) so there is unallocated space between SDA2 and SDA3. Use the Move option to just drag the entire partition over.
3. Expand SDA2 into the Unallocated space, by using the Resize option.

Note: backup ANY data that you want to keep in case something wrong happens while the partition editor is running. Better to be safe than sorry, IMO.

Yes, what carnage said.

To extend your C drive from sda2, the unallocated disk space has to be "next" to the partition you want to extend.

Think of it like this:
1- SDA2
2-SDA3
X-Unallocated 100GB

1-2-X : You can't extend.

1-X-2 : You can extend.

Carnage's suggestion brings you to the point where the unallocated 100GB is next to the sda2 partition.

Last edited:
Can't watch your video as I'm at work, but looking at the GParted screen, I'm going to make my suggestions based off of assumptions. Correct me on anything if I'm wrong.

But if SDA7 is the 100GB you're talking about that you want to get rid of... Then do this:

1. Delete the SDA7 partition (100GB inside the SDA3 extended partition).
2. Move the SDA3 extended partition away from SDA2 (your C: drive I'm assuming) so there is unallocated space between SDA2 and SDA3. Use the Move option to just drag the entire partition over.
3. Expand SDA2 into the Unallocated space, by using the Resize option.

Note: backup ANY data that you want to keep in case something wrong happens while the partition editor is running. Better to be safe than sorry, IMO.

You were spot on with your assumptions, but for some reason I can't put the unallocated space between the c: and the extended drive.

You were spot on with your assumptions, but for some reason I can't put the unallocated space between the c: and the extended drive.

Did you try shrinking the SDA3 (Extended partition) to remove the unallocated space out of there? You should then be able to move the extended partition, and have the unallocated space appear between SDA2 and SDA3.

So, in short:

1. Resize SDA3 to remove the 100GB of unallocated space within the SDA3.
2. Move SDA3 to the right to set the unallocated space between SDA2 and SDA3.
3. Expand SDA2 onto the unallocated space by resizing it.

Does that work?

If not, could you post an updated screenshot of what your partition configuration looks like in the GParted window?

Did you try shrinking the SDA3 (Extended partition) to remove the unallocated space out of there? You should then be able to move the extended partition, and have the unallocated space appear between SDA2 and SDA3.

So, in short:

1. Resize SDA3 to remove the 100GB of unallocated space within the SDA3.
2. Move SDA3 to the right to set the unallocated space between SDA2 and SDA3.
3. Expand SDA2 onto the unallocated space by resizing it.

Does that work?

If not, could you post an updated screenshot of what your partition configuration looks like in the GParted window?

I can remove it, get it out of extended, but I can only move the slider on the right for the extended. I cant find a way to move the 100GB between C: and extended, only to the right/underneath it. This seems like a very silly issue with no simple solution. The only thing I might be able to try is to transfer the 100GB through each individual in the extended until it borders the C:. However it seems like there should be a much more logical and intuitive solution. And my disk still looks the same as before, I haven't touched anything.

Back
Top Bottom