nVidia FX 5700 Any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, get the GT. Like I said, its almost equal to the X800 Pro and even beats it in Doom 3. Definately worth your money.

Wow... didn't know the 6600GT was available AGP... shows how slow I am. It's a great card, though you may be losing a lot of the advantages of it's SLI capabilities just using a single one in an AGP slot. That card is a very very quick card on it's own though, for it's price.

I got an FX-5700LE 256mb and it runs HL2 on 800 X 600, all settings High (AA and AF off)

It runs pretty nicely, no FPS 'dragging' and with an average of 50 Frames per second even in big firefights....

With an FX5700, he should be fine with Doom 3 on 800x600, Medium settings.
No , the resolution is right, but he'll be able to play it High Settings, with all effects, just no AA or AF, no way in hell for that. As for HL2, yeah it can only run it in DX8.1 but I can play it 1024x768 resolution all high settings, 4x AA and 8X AF and it still plays good on my system although it'll dip down to below what I like so, probably 2x AA if any and all or 4x AA with all high settings at 1024x768 is easily playable for me on my FX 5700

Jak seems to be getting 5k in 3dmark with his 9600XT 128mb while I get 3k, sucks... :p

Take a look at the new HL2 benchmarks and then try to tell me the FX 5700 is good for HL2.
Where did I say that the FX 5700 is 'good for hl2' I said it plays HL2 good on my system.....and I didn't even compare it to any other cards..

You're too obsessed with benchmarks beedub! Articles and reviews don't mean crap, experience wins over all.

I simply said HL2 is playable and plays good on my system nothing more.

EDIT: So it appears I CAN run DX9 even with the FX series, that's good to know. Beyond that, there's no question regarding the fact that ATI was made to play HL2 and Nvidia was to play doom3 basically, plus since I'm running it at what my card is designed to run it at, which is DX8.1 and not pushing the resolution up that high, and my monitor can't even reach 1600x1200, then it really doesn't matter, because I don't have the same settings OR setup that they are using. I got higher benches that what they are recording and the fact they started off at 1280x1024 is mainly the reason, cause I just put it at 1024x768, with all high settings, 2x AA, and 8x AF it's damn playable, no lag and looks good considering how old my card is.

Here's the key to the whole thing:
, but the GeForce FX cards simply can't handle the DirectX 9 rendering path in a playable manner. If you've got one of these cards, stick with the DirectX 8.1 rendering path, which is the default for the FX cards.

Which up until the newest cards, ATI didn't even support DX9 at all either, and didn't support Pixel Shader 3 among other things...

Beyond that key number 2:
ATI definitely has a performance advantage in overall Half-Life 2 gameplay....But just as with nVidia's performance advantage in Doom 3, it's almost academic as cards from both companies run the game fast and smooth enough to be perfectly enjoyable.

People need to stop getting so anal and trying to compare something directly with something else that's obviously not in the same category and/or when another company blatantly makes a game geared towards a specific brand of card manufacturer. Just like you got sick and tired of all those people talking about their Nvidia Cards and Doom3, the same applies to HL2 and ATI

The point being, who the hell cares, every system, person and scenario is different from what the benchmarks show on some website. Of course forcing DX9 in a card where it defaults to DX8 will run slower than a high end next gen card built for the game.....they needed to do a review just to come this conclusion?

Stop paying attention to so many damn benchmarks people and just go experience the hardware for yourself. Building and owning computers is all about fux'ing up sometime and buying something that's not as good as 'the other choice' that's a part of building computers. Beyond that everyones choices differ. I'm perfectly fine with the way HL2 plays on my system DX9 or DX8. I could always be my friend on a Geforce 2 Ti 64mb and not play it all....

Seems like people get so caught up in benchmarks and top end hardware that they forget MORE people have crappier hardware than do top of the line.

You're right Nubius, but the benchmarks are interesting. Just as the Radeon X800 series is significantly behind in Doom 3, the GeForce FX series is significanly behind all the competition in HL2, but that doesn't mean it can't play well on a GeForce FX. I apoligize, Nubius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom