Do memory sticks have to be the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloud

In Runtime
My pc is running a 512 mb memory, but i want to add more, do i have to add another 512? or can i put a gb? I don't know if a 512 and a gb will work together or not or if they have to be the same size.

When installing new ram you've gotta think of a few things.

First, you can install any different sizes together (as long as the total doesn't go above the maximum ram amout of your motherboard)

Other than that, make sure the RAM is the same form factor. They have to be the same as your mobo. SIMM/DIMM/RIMM

The second is if at all possible, use the same brand of memory for all your ram. If not, make sure that the pin connectors are the same color (IE gold or silver).

Ah another question, if i want to replace my ram, Do i have to do anything specific to my OS first? like back up files or anything?

u need to make sure the types of ram your getting dont conflict with each other...in my old pc i had samsung in it originally when i installed another stick of kingston my pc just kept restarting. I ended up just pulling the samsung and using the kingston so u need to be careful

ok, one more question, whats the difference in SDRAM and DDR and how can i tell which one I have?, sorry for all the questions, but I'm really interested in the internal workings of a pc. :)

The first way would be to look at the stickers on your current memory. It usually says what type it is.

If not, you can always look up your motherboard specs online.

Yeah, I love FMA. They're airing it on CartoonNetwork now, but the voices they chose for the voiceovers are horrible!

It's probable that you're running DDR, but not certain. Some motherboards can have either SDR or DDR in, so knowing your motherboard may not necessarily tell you what RAM you have in there. If you see a stick of RAM that looks like yours, and it's DDR2100, it'll work basically. The PC won't necessarily work as fast as it can though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom