Socket 754 vs. 939 and Low Latency vs. Value RAM, HELP !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

millerhighlife_

In Runtime
Building rig for gaming mostly, but on a budget. Question is, what's the advantage socket 939 has over 754 ? I was looking at a AMD64 3500+ Socket 939 but I may not be able to fit that in my budget. Now I'm looking at a AMD64 3200+ or 3400+ Socket 754 because they are a good bit cheaper. Will I regret not getting 939 ?
Also, I was thinking about Corsair XMS Extreme RAM 1GB(512x2) because of all the great reviews of it. But after reading a PC World article on how low latency memory dosen't offer substantial boosts, will I be ok buying something like Corsair Value RAM ? Remember this is for gaming. Do any of you use another brand of memory that's not "namebrand" like corsair or kingston for gaming and still get great results ? I have around $150 for RAM. Keep in mind I need 1GB. Don't wont to go over by more than that by $5 or so. But if XMS is that much better I may try. Please, offer suggestions. :confused:

you can get a 3000+ or 3200+ in socket 939; the difference is a 2GHZ FSB rather than 1.6GHZ, and support for dual channel DDR RAM
I suggest you get a 3200+ socket 939 with an Abit AV8 3rd eye

personally I think you'd be better off getting PC4000 RAM if you want more performance, since lower latencies does not give that much performance boost
Transcend's PC4000 RAM performs better than Corsair's

Ohhh, so 754 dosen't support dual channel ram ? Ewww, I will definately get socket 939 now. Thanks for that info apokalipse !

Yea, get socket 939. Somebody on this forum with socket 939 performs way better than I do even with an X800 Pro. You really want that duel channel capability, and also, PC4000 *drool* RAM. I have low latency RAM myself and it doesn't give that much of a performance increase.

Get 939 socket because amd has future plans where you can plug in 2 proccessors into ONE 939 pin slot. Woohoo.

apokalipse - The LDT Bus has the same configuration on all 64-bit platforms.

· HTT is rated at 800 Mhz (1600 Mhz @ 64-bit).

· The Bus can handle up to 1000 Mhz (2000 Mhz @ 64-bit).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom