HD 5870 Temp.

Run a game, or the Kombustor program that comes with Afterburner.
So it's molex? If so, plug it in to a molex connector coming from the PSU.

It's a 4 pin, not molex though, the same type as the old fan that can plug into the card. I will unplug it, and put the molex on, and connect it to the PSU.

*edit*

I have WoW up, gpu useage is at 40 and its already shot upto 75oC already?!

I have closed it down, temps shot upto 80oC and it was only at about 45% useage...

I am going to see if i can re-seat it, maybe apply new paste? I'll post when i'm done.

Pic of the GPU. Paste isn't spread around it? Did I do something wrong? Too much paste?

*Last edit*

I think i fixed it!! YAY! :) :) :)
The screw for the mount had extra metal on it, making the screw not go all the way down, making the heat-sink not sit on the GPU chip properly. I hope this has fixed the problem. I am now getting temps at 33-35oC :D

*New EDIT*

Ok, so im running WoW. Temp goes to about 60oC maybe 63 when i play it, is this normal? GPU load is at like 40-50%. I have changed the fan speed to 40% as well. Would this kill the fans? I don't even think it made a difference too it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 3
  • yay1234.gif
    yay1234.gif
    17.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Those temps are fine. Remember, GPUs are good up to 90+C. Some GPUs with stock coolers like mine run in the 80s on a regular basis.

Running your fans at 40% is fine, and if it matches the original go ahead and plug it into your card.

That paste spread is fine.

Those temps are fine. Remember, GPUs are good up to 90+C. Some GPUs with stock coolers like mine run in the 80s on a regular basis.

Running your fans at 40% is fine, and if it matches the original go ahead and plug it into your card.

That paste spread is fine.

I have plugged it into the motherboard, when i increase the fan speed, it doesn't seem to do nothing?

It's staying at 48oC now... ._. i don't have wow up or anything.

Last edited:
I have plugged it into the motherboard, when i increase the fan speed, it doesn't seem to do nothing?

It's staying at 48oC now... ._. i don't have wow up or anything.
That's because the fan controller on the card only controls the fan port on the card. MSI Afterburner does not control any ports on the motherboard. :lol:

48c idle is fine, seriously, you're stressing too much. Your temps are ok.

That's because the fan controller on the card only controls the fan port on the card. MSI Afterburner does not control any ports on the motherboard. :lol:

48c idle is fine, seriously, you're stressing too much. Your temps are ok.

Even when i had it plugged into the graphics card, it didn't do anything :( :eek:

If the fan is plugged into your motherboard or a molex connector then odds have it the fans are already maxed out. No program will show you the fan speeding up because it isn't plugged into the card itself like I mentioned before. The 40% being indicated is what the cards port is trying to give, not what your fans are really doing if they aren't plugged into the card.

If the fan is plugged into your motherboard or a molex connector then odds have it the fans are already maxed out. No program will show you the fan speeding up because it isn't plugged into the card itself like I mentioned before. The 40% being indicated is what the cards port is trying to give, not what your fans are really doing if they aren't plugged into the card.

Hmmm. Alright then, thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom