Asus K55V not powering down properly! Help!

NSM1986

Solid State Member
Hi Guys.

This is my first post on the forum so firstly i would like to say a big hello!

I was hoping someone could help me.

I have just bought an Asus K55V. I have removed the Optical drive and replaced it with a caddy and a second 2.5inch Sata HDD.

I re installed windows 7 64 Bit on the main SSD and installed all the drivers.

The problem is when i come to Shutdown, Restart or Sleep the laptop starts shutting down and the screen goes black and the everything appears to power down except the laptop still stays powered on. The white LED is still lit next to the power button and i physically need to hold the power button in for 10 seconds to get it to manually turn off before i can turn it back on again.

Does anyone have any idea what is going wrong. I did some research and though its maybe because the second HDD was a master as well but SATA drives down have a MASTER and SLAVE does it? And i cant seem to find any options in bios which can be changed to sort this out.

Thanks for your time and help!

Neal

Hi Guys.

This is my first post on the forum so firstly i would like to say a big hello!

I was hoping someone could help me.

I have just bought an Asus K55V. I have removed the Optical drive and replaced it with a caddy and a second 2.5inch Sata HDD.

I re installed windows 7 64 Bit on the main SSD and installed all the drivers.

The problem is when i come to Shutdown, Restart or Sleep the laptop starts shutting down and the screen goes black and the everything appears to power down except the laptop still stays powered on. The white LED is still lit next to the power button and i physically need to hold the power button in for 10 seconds to get it to manually turn off before i can turn it back on again.

Does anyone have any idea what is going wrong. I did some research and though its maybe because the second HDD was a master as well but SATA drives down have a MASTER and SLAVE does it? And i cant seem to find any options in bios which can be changed to sort this out.

Thanks for your time and help!

Neal

1. Start up windows, hit the start button on your keyboard, click on search.

2. Next type control panel, once you did that change the view of your appearence to small icons.
3.Now locate a tool called power management, click it and see what you got.
For a laptop netbook or even portable devices such as tablets.
I choose my power plan to turn off the "display" after 10 minutes.
I disable sleep because some laptops or netbooks are kinda hard to get out of that mode at times.

4.I need you to disable hibernation if windows enabled that by default for your laptop.

5. Next I want you to choose in windows power management when you close the lid to keep it on.
That way it will prevent any mishaps of improper shut downs and lead windows to not start up correctly.

If your on the go, you can choose, when you close your lid have it power down to hibernate.
Click one key on the laptop and it will come back from you left off at.

Lastly for your drives, check the bios again and check your drives there.
If both show up, have your main ssd/hdd be your main boot.
The optical drive always comes second and lastly boot off any fat32 formatted usb drives.

I will give this a good try when I get home.

Annoyingly the bios on this laptop won't let me see drivers.

I did have 2 boot options and I removed the second HDD off the boot list to see if it fixed the problem as it's only a storage drive with no OS.

Thanks for the help. I will keep you posted.
Now I have 1 drive on the boot list.

Any way I can pick master etc on this crap bios

Nope still when it shuts down or restarts it says windows is shutting down. Screen turns off. Fans stop but power light is still lit and I need to hold it down for 10 seconds to manually turn the power off before I can turn back on.

Tried everything you said with no luck.

I am preying someone can help.

Thanks for your time

This laptop has USB charger mode:
Using the USB Charger+ Settings
The USB Charger+ Settings lets you set the charge limit when your
ASUS Notebook PC is running on battery power. This also allows you
to charge devices while your Notebook PC is on sleep, hibernate, or
shutdown mode.
Not sure if that will fix your issue but you can try it. There's ore info about your laptop in the owners manual here:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps/eManual/e7495_Win8_User_Guide.pdf

Nope still when it shuts down or restarts it says windows is shutting down. Screen turns off. Fans stop but power light is still lit and I need to hold it down for 10 seconds to manually turn the power off before I can turn back on.

Tried everything you said with no luck.

I am preying someone can help.

Thanks for your time

Abour your caddy, is it something similiar to this ? :D
2nd Hard Drive HDD SSD Caddy Adapter for Asus K55 K55V K55VM K55VD | eBay

If it is follow the instructions and make sure the hdd with your os is primary.
If they have a switch on it, find and toggle it.

Let me ask you this did you have to open your laptop abit to much to get your hard drives ?
If so, you may have taken one of power cords loose by accident.
Have a look at this video and make sure to watch as he takes it apart. :)
Asus K55VD guide pt1 - YouTube

I recon the answer lies in these 2 posts.

I will have a proper look and check of the inside cables tomorrow night as see if I can spot the issue.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks for the time guys

Back
Top Bottom