HD 5870 Temp.

If you're only getting 1 quad, and it's a DDR2 system, then IMO it isn't worth it. It's barely better than what you're running now and adding another slow quad isn't going to make the system any better. What you need is more IPC and a better graphics card.

In all honesty something like an i3 3220, or even a first gen i5 if you could get one real cheap would be a hell of alot better than this workstation.

I would run prime95 to check for CPU stability after you get your new GPU cooler.

A dual core with HT, compared to a first gen quad core. Huge no. The IPC difference between the two is incredible, considering the fact that the 3220 is a 3rd gen Core i series.

To show you some figures. Take a look at gaming benchmarks of the i3 2100 which is a generation behind the 3220. Considering the difference between the two, give the 2100 about a 5-10% increase. It hangs with even much better quads at gaming. Any chart the Q6600 is on, it's at the bottom.

AnandTech | The Sandy Bridge Review: Intel Core i7-2600K, i5-2500K and Core i3-2100 Tested

To top it off, the 1155 socket gives you an upgrade path to a better IB quad like a 3570k or even an i7 3770k.

Because in your price range you'll have to get an FX 4100 or 4300 which is a dual module CPU, in other words dual core with physical HT, with less IPC than an i3 3220. I've stated that before in my thread. I'll make my point.
AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz Socket AM3+ 8MB Cache Retail Boxed.. | Ebuyer.com

Same price as the i3 basically, labeled a quad core, it isn't. And it's slower than the i3 at everything, including gaming. I prove that here.

Actually, my whole thread is dedicated why not to get sucked into the AMD marketing lies, and how a dual core is perfectly fine for casual and even semi hardcore gaming.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/your-cpu-modern-games-guide-those-building-261626/

Short and sweet, the i3 3220 is faster than your Q6600 and the Xeon you were looking at as a replacement. Especially at WoW. So unless you want to buy an H80i and clock the crap out of the Q6600 you're better off with the i3 that has faster RAM, more memory bandwidth, is capable of utilizing 16GB of RAM, and has a better upgrade path over the dinosaur.

Back
Top Bottom