Pinscher's Epic Comeback (Pics)

Pinscher

Fully Optimized
Hey TF!!!

I don't know how many of you will remember me but browsing through the forums I still recognize a few of you and its good to see the old-school guys still around.

So I haven't been around in years and I think it is time to make my comeback into the PC building and modding world. I miss it around here! My inspiration to come back here has come from my long standing desire to get a new case. I have been looking on and off for a long time and was never really set on anything. I found a few that came close but their high prices eventually scared me off. All of this searching eventually led me to some pics of people turning their desks into cases essentially. This instantly caught got me thinking. If you can't find what you want, make it!

My desk is almost perfect already to make a sweet case out of and won't require too much modification to fit my rig (so I hope). Luckily I have unlimited free access to a CNC router, a shop and a cheap source for materials too.

I am still in the planning and design phase of this whole project but I would like to document the whole process to share with you guys and get your feedback & advice as I go. I have never done anything like this so I'm sure I'll need a bit of advice. I will have pics of the desk and my plan soon but I wanted to get the conversation started with parts I am thinking of purchasing for this. I will be upgrading my existing watercooling loop with the desk and then will eventually build a new rig once the desk and watercooling is complete.

Here is a list of all the things I am currently looking at:

2x – Swiftech MCP35X PWM Pump

PrimoChilll 1/2" OD Rigid Acrylic Tube - 4x 24" Pack - Clear - FrozenCPU.com

Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850RPM

Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm x 25mm Fan - 1850 RPM (D1225C12B5AP-15) Hot Item !! - FrozenCPU.com

2x - Coolgate 3x120mm Radiator – Copper Edition

Coolgate Triple 120mm Ultimate Heat Exchanger Radiator - Copper Edition (CG-360CuP) - FrozenCPU.com

2x – FrozenQ Black Helix Reservoir

FrozenQ Liquid Fusion Dual Bay Reservoir - Black Helix - FrozenCPU.com

Primochill Rigid Acrylic Tubing

PrimoChilll 1/2" OD Rigid Acrylic Tube - 4x 24" Pack - Clear - FrozenCPU.com

I will be running two loops, one for my CPU/RAM, and another for my GPU. I will wait to upgrade my CPU block until I build a new rig, at which time I will also get appropriate blocks for my new GPU and RAM.

My current setup is:
I7 920 @ 3.5 daily
EVGA X58 SLI
G.Skill 3GB DDR3 1600 (I know, I really need more)
ATI 5970 with a slight OC that I don't remember
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD
X-Fi ExtremeGamer Fatal1ty Sound Card

That's the meat of my rig. I have a couple more drives on storage and whatnot but that's the stuff that matters. Most of this will be replaced in time with the new rig but that discussion is for a later date so please don't critique my current rig here.

Like I said, I will get pics up shortly to give you guys an idea of what I want to do but what do you think of parts so far? I am also thinking of a black and white theme with the exception of those reservoirs and rads. I would sleeve all the cables in white with maybe some accented heatshrink or colored ends of some sort. The desk has a glass top so you would be looking down onto my rig all laid out.

The desk is sitting in my parents living room since I just moved so the pics suck, sorry. This should give you an idea though. I want to remove the lattice and move that hole shelf down a few inches and use it for the frame. I will make pieces that diagonally join to the upper frame of the desk and mount the radiators in those pieces.

Last edited:
Lol that radiator is ridiculous. I wonder how it fairs to the Alphacool Monsta or XSPC AX-360-SL-D.

BTW Welcome back. I don't quite remember you, but it's good to see older crew coming around.

Ya I ran across that radiator sifting through frozencpu and couldn't turn away! I found a good review for a slightly different model of theirs so I think it should be pretty sweet. Plus its nice to have something a little different than black, I want to spice things up a bit!

Its nice to be back! Lots of good times here, I learned everything I know from this place back from when I built my first rig with a qx6700 lol

I like the look of that rad too, especially with the white. That would match my color scheme. I'm currently running a Black Ice GT Stealth 360 and I love it and would buy another but it doesn't have any cool look to it.

I'll look into your water chiller thing too when I get a chance. Lol for some reason I feel like I remember you now that you mention getting banned, I'm not sure though, its been a while.

I like the look of simplicity and the minimalistic approach.

You know they make those desk case things now right? You can buy them I believe from FrozenCPU. I used to want one, but since I have to move at least one more time I didn't want to deal with that.

Haha ya all the 'cool' kids are doing it these days!! Lol

That's another reason I want it to be my own so I can say I built it, not just put together a desk in a box, although it does look pretty cool.

Back
Top Bottom