New Graphics Card Advice

Vendetta1

Baseband Member
I've Hp Compaq Dc 7700 with following specifications:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2040MB RAM

Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) Q965/Q963 Express Chipset Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) GMA 3000
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2992&SUBSYS_2801103C&REV_02
Display Memory: 256.0 MB

My system works very good. It meets all requirement of many heavy games but lack their VGA memory requirement. Some say there is no Vertex Shader some say there is no Hardware T&L.

I want to know what VGA Cards I can purchase which will be compatible with my PC? Please advice carefully becuase I do not much know about these things and I will purchase the one which you advice me. List all the cards which are compatible whether they are new or old. Thankyou

Do you have the case that looks like this.
http://www.superwarehouse.com/images/products/HP_dc7700.jpg

Or this.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...qA1XuEb6daxi8no-O-VqXzpY9bjCaBAKkZLMVTUbVI4mR

If you have the larger midtower you can fit any PCI-E 16x card within the limits of a crap 365W PC. Your problem is your CPU though. It's slow as hell for any real kind of gaming. That includes pretty much most all games made from 2005 and up. So essentially you're pretty much going to bottleneck any kind of GPU you put in your PC.

Do you have the case that looks like this.
http://www.superwarehouse.com/images/products/HP_dc7700.jpg

Or this.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...qA1XuEb6daxi8no-O-VqXzpY9bjCaBAKkZLMVTUbVI4mR

If you have the larger midtower you can fit any PCI-E 16x card within the limits of a crap 365W PC. Your problem is your CPU though. It's slow as hell for any real kind of gaming. That includes pretty much most all games made from 2005 and up. So essentially you're pretty much going to bottleneck any kind of GPU you put in your PC.

My Pc looks like your second link, tell me the Cards which I can attach with my PC. I think my PC is not slow, it has 2 CPU's of 3.2 each. Sims 3 works perfectly.Advice me about graphic cards

Last edited:
By looking at that picture that was given, I would have to guess that you need to get a "low profile" graphics card. I basically did that back when I upgraded my Dell a few years back. A normal card may be too tall to fit. No worries though, that's why they make the "low profile" cards.

My suggestion would be to check this page:

Newegg.com - low profile graphics card

Keep in mind that you have to check the cards specs for required wattage and output type. Like a card that requires a minimum power supply of 400W may not work for you. The output port would be like DVI-I or HDMI, some of the "low profile" cards have both. You just don't want to buy a card that has an HDMI output and you don't have an HDMI input on your monitor.

So look at that list and narrow down the cards by your price range first.
Then check the specs of the ones you have narrowed down. Checking for the minimum power supply wattage. Once you have those narrowed down, probably to a handful, go and check what type of video output port it offers.

Remember that:
DVI outputs High Def video but no audio
HDMI outputs both High Def video and audio
Other options may be VGA which is only analog

Hope this helps.
Mark W.

PS - when I upgraded my slim DELL it had a 550W power supply in it. I choose to go with the "low profile" NVIDIA GeFORCE 8400 GS with 512MB or RAM. It was an improvement over the onboard Intel graphics but I still had to play most games at low settings. Some at medium.

My Pc looks like your second link, tell me the Cards which I can attach with my PC. I think my PC is not slow, it has 2 CPU's of 3.2 each. Sims 3 works perfectly.Advice me about graphic cards
I'm telling you, I know your PC is slow. A Pentium 4 is slow. It's not 2 CPUs, it's a single core with HT. That is two threads, not two cores.

Sims 3 isn't exactly the standard of modern benchmarking, and can be played on exceptionally old and slow PCs compared to todays standard.

Since you require low profile, the best video card you can buy for your machine is this one.
Newegg.com - DIAMOND 7750PE51GLP Radeon HD 7750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 CrossFireX Support Low Profile Half-Height Video Card

You'll have to attach the low profile bracket before installing into your case.

By looking at that picture that was given, I would have to guess that you need to get a "low profile" graphics card. I basically did that back when I upgraded my Dell a few years back. A normal card may be too tall to fit. No worries though, that's why they make the "low profile" cards.

My suggestion would be to check this page:

Newegg.com - low profile graphics card

Keep in mind that you have to check the cards specs for required wattage and output type. Like a card that requires a minimum power supply of 400W may not work for you. The output port would be like DVI-I or HDMI, some of the "low profile" cards have both. You just don't want to buy a card that has an HDMI output and you don't have an HDMI input on your monitor.

So look at that list and narrow down the cards by your price range first.
Then check the specs of the ones you have narrowed down. Checking for the minimum power supply wattage. Once you have those narrowed down, probably to a handful, go and check what type of video output port it offers.

Remember that:
DVI outputs High Def video but no audio
HDMI outputs both High Def video and audio
Other options may be VGA which is only analog

Hope this helps.
Mark W.

PS - when I upgraded my slim DELL it had a 550W power supply in it. I choose to go with the "low profile" NVIDIA GeFORCE 8400 GS with 512MB or RAM. It was an improvement over the onboard Intel graphics but I still had to play most games at low settings. Some at medium.

I'm replying late, but I would like to thankyou PP Mguire and specially mwwwilson becuase your advice has solved my problem. I searched as you said and found NVIDIA Geforce 210 1 GB suitable for my computer. I purchased and installed this card and now I'm able to play Assassin's Creed, GTA IV, and Burnount Paradise and many others. Once again Thanks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom