PC doesn't have an on-off switch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmydubs

Beta member
Hi everyone

I can't find anything on the Net about this so I'm hoping you guys can help. The power supply on my low-spec emachine PC packed up today so I bought a new one and installed it myself (no mean feat for me!). It works like a dream now, but when I shut it down the fans just kept running and running and running. I looked all over the machine and to my amazement it doesn't have a proper on/off switch (you know the black one with I/O on it, usually adjacent to the power socket). The PC does have some kind of push-in button on the front for re-booting etc, but there's no way of switching the power completely off, so the only answer is to unplug it.

Does anyone know how I can get the PC to switch the fans off when it shuts down?

Thanks in anticipation.

Jim

thats strange thing u r telling, are you sure you whut down the pc and not the stand by?

other possibuility might be that your PSU ha built in transistor, as some have that fns runs for few mins (1-2) even when shut down, to blow out the hot air completely.

There's definitely no traditional on/off switch on the back. There's a round button on the front that I used to use to power up or re-boot the system. But this one definitely doesn't cut off the power. And the new fans just don't switch off - ever! They're running right at this moment, and I shut the bleedin' thing down about 30 minutes ago! Not sure what to do. Is there a software fix? Can I force the whole thing to power down?

have you tried holding in the round button on the front when you shut down?? you have to do that on my parents machine and then their fans stop

Have you left it going to see how long it does that for? I have seen some psu's that have the fans run for a few minutes after the cpu powers down to blow the hot air out. Its a good idea. You might have a psu that does that.

Well maybe there is a switch on the power supply you can use to switch your computer on and off?

Also, welcome to TF!

-Dan The Man

Try holding the button down for like 7-10 seconds to see if that works. Also check you're power management options in the bios.

If you got a PSU that DOESN"T have a power switch on the back, take it out and punt it into a lake. That's a strange, crappy, and dangerous PSU, and I would suggest you not touch it without gloves on.

Show us a pic (or give us a link) of this case. I've never seen a case without a power button on it (unless it's a server, at which point you should know that server's aren't meant to be turned on and off, and you should only use the PSU switch when you have to). If you have a button on the front that when you press the machine restarts, that's a BIOS setting. Go check it out in BIOS and change the functionality of the button. There's several different modes available, including a staight power-off, standby, reboot, hibernate, etc.

jimmydubs : That sounds strange for 2 reasons. Firstly, you should not have to use the power switch on your PSU generally. Did your computer turn off completely prior to your install of the new PSU, just by shutting it down?

Secondly : I haven't seen a PSU without a switch in years. Well actually, I have, I have one downstairs, but it's about 10 years old. Where did you get your PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom