Dear sirs...a damsel is in distress!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leila

Solid State Member
Hey hey, guys...hope everyone is staying cool and enjoying their day. I am having a bit of a modem problem, and you all are the best techies out there, as far as I'm concerned...you would actually be coming the rescue of two damsels in distress this time!:) A new 56k US Robotics PCI Modem for Windows was just installed on my friend's Compaq, which was bought used (the computer) from an individual a week ago. She is wanting to connect to AOL, but a message from Cox Cable Internet Access keeps coming up everytime she gets online that tells her the page cannot be displayed. (She does not and has never subscribed to cable internet access.) I know that she probably needs to adjust the configuration of the modem/dial-up settings, but I have only phone contact with her and I don't know how to walk her through the switch from Cox to AOL, who she is currently a customer with. She is running Windows ME:( and even though I don't know the actual specs of the system, it sounds too fast to be causing problems through memory drain. So, if any of you wonderful knights in shining armor have any advice as to what I can do for this barely-computer-literate friend of mine, please let me know!

Thanks and cheers,

Yes, that's correct. I am assuming that the people that had the computer before she did had Cox Cable internet service and the configuration for dial-up networking (or something internet property-related) needs to be changed to allow her to use her AOL account.

Hi there,

First off ,, I would suggest that your friend has the Cox software removed from her system,, sounds like the machine has not been rebuilt since purchase,, not the best way to start off with a machine,, however, I do not know the circumstance and it sounds as though a re-install would prove problematic...

If she is able to remove the Cox-ware, then remove and re-install the USROb modem, she will then be able to make a new dIAL uP Connection and her issues should disappear...

the problem here lies in the previous ISP software on the machine..

Her BEST bet, is to pay someone to perform a CLEAN install on the machine, in this way, she will not be "piecing" out the issue and possibly end up spending more on "small" fixes, then a one time install,,

Now,, trying to walk someone through this is trouble,, due to the fact that any responses are unable to be accurate with what she is seeing in her machine configuration without getting some confirmation on the settings themselves,,

so,, nuff said,, two methods,, 1) remove the COXware, and remove her modem and reinstall , OR 2) Have a CLEAN install of the Machine performed,,

cheers,

or she could just

(if she has no restore cd) she could just uninstall the cox-ware, and install AOL, has she installed the AOL software? she should be able to confgure her modem settings when she installs AOL, if she has installed AOL, was it after the USRob modem was installed?

Um.. I actually work for AOL in Broadband tech support.

(I know.. Don't shoot me, the economy sucks and it pays the bills...)

Anyway.. Here's the most likely fix for that..

Go into control panel and then into Internet options.

Click on the connections tab at the top, and then clear out everything in the dialup and virtual private networking settings (Anything in the white box).

Click on "LAN settings" at the bottom and make sure that NONE of the boxes are checked off.

From there go to the programs tab and click on "Reset Web Settings" (make sure there is a checkmark in reset home page), and then click OK.

If that doesn't work, get specifics for me (what connection step on AOL it gives that message at, what version of AOL, and absolutely anything else no matter how small that leads up to getting this error message.) I'll see what I can do from there.

Alexander

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom