Is this a decent computer?

Jroberts4989

Solid State Member
Hey I am looking at building my first computer but I'm not that knowledgable when it comes to computers. I know my budget is really tight and won't allow me to get the best components but I will plan on upgrading this down the road. I only plan on playing minecraft as well as watching youtube videos and surfing the web. My budget is right around $400.00. I am open to any suggestions you guys have.
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
Would this computer do what I need it to do?

Yes, it will. First thing I'll tell you, the PSU is crap and that'll be the first you'll need to upgrade. Second will be the HDD. It's not as prone to dying, but I don't trust HItachi anymore as a HDD brand after I've had 4 brand new 1TBs die on me.

As of right now, I'm not sure you can make a better deal for $400.

Do you have any suggestions? I don't know what components are compatible with each other or anything which is why I chose a package like that. I will need, a monitor, keyboard, mouse, case and all of the internals.

Well like I said, I don't think you'll really find a better deal because you need the peripherals as well. I'm just telling you, that PSU needs to be replaced ASAP. Don't wait 6 months to a year. I would replace it within a month if possible. Otherwise, it'll do what you want. Just don't expect 100fps+ on Minecraft.

Just to explain the importance of changing the PSU ASAP as PP suggested:
If your PSU Fails, it may take other PC parts down with it such as the motherboard. This will mean you will need to replace the PSU (Which failed) and any damages (Mobo, HDD, etc.)

I am not too knowledgeable about computers, but reading forums here as they pop up has given me some insight. This is one of those insights I have learned... never buy a cheap branded PSU as your main.

Considering this rig isn't very powerful, you can get a cheap replacement now, or get something a little more beefier a bit down the road.
Although rather cheap, even this would be a ton better than the OEM in that case.
CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

Although, with the promo code right now this would pretty much be the same price and you'll be set for a while.
Thermaltake TR2 TR-600 600W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply - Newegg.com

That APU is much better, but the PSU will still need to be replaced ASAP and that only leaves you a little over 100 for mouse, keyboard, HDD, and monitor. Take note, that both setups need an OS as well.

So far I have found a BenQ monitor for 94.00 and windows 8 for 65.00 and I'm not to worried about a keyboard and mouse because I already have those. Could you list me the rest of the parts that you would reccomend me getting. I appreciate all of your help and sorry if I'm bothering you by asking all of these questions I'm just not to knowledgable as to what components are better than each other.

Back
Top Bottom