Need help upgrading my dads computer

brandon17

Baseband Member
He mainly uses spaceclaim to design parts for a cnc cutter.

Build
Amd Athlon x4 635
Mother-Foxconn 2ab1
ati Radeon Hd 4200

Probably would just be better to make a new build for around 300-450 Need advice

Nah, give it some more RAM, an SSD maybe, and a GPU upgrade. If it's running XP put 7 on it.

If you can find a cheap 1055t for it that would work too. Be a great upgrade.

Nah, give it some more RAM, an SSD maybe, and a GPU upgrade. If it's running XP put 7 on it.

If you can find a cheap 1055t for it that would work too. Be a great upgrade.
its a 64 bit 7
Could you recommend what i should go for around that price range, with all these weekend deals i don't really know what to go for.

Pretty much just did. Go for what you can afford.

How much RAM does it have currently? I mean, it's an AM3 board with a quadcore already in it. I don't think the program utilizes GPU hardware acceleration so getting a cheap used Phenom 2 X6 1055t (95w CPU) and maybe an SSD would be golden if the machine already has 8GB of RAM.

If not, then I'm going to guess it has 4GB of RAM, so getting 4GB more and a 120GB SSD could help too. That's looking at close to 200 bucks. After that I would grab a cheap GPU like a GT630 for 50 bucks.

More than likely you don't need to upgrade the PSU for any of this. But for the same money;
CORSAIR CX430M 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

I would go with this SSD instead too.
Newegg.com - Seagate 600 Series ST120HM000 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Dads rig also doesn't need bleeding edge for RAM so you can save 20 bucks here.
GeIL EVO Veloce Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model GEV38GB1600C9DC - Newegg.com

To the cooler, depends on your definition of cheap.
COOLER MASTER RR-H101-22FK-RA CPU Cooler - Newegg.com
Although, for 130 bucks and the amount going into the rig you could get something better and cheaper.

Which one should i get for his motherboard, there was a couple on newegg for 120ish. I didn't know that one wouldn't work in his

Back
Top Bottom