Question about Gaming vs CAD vs Photo/Video Editing Rigs

With expierence using lots of different Cad systems I think that if some one plans on doing complex stuff in more then one program at a time the more ram the better ( to a realistic point) also the way the CAD specific video cards are just a little bit more geared towards precision as apposed to smoothness but its going to take a very intensive CAD user to notice this
I agree, but budget and other uses dictate what I would tell somebody to go for. Then again personally I have never seen a CAD program use more than 16GB of RAM, but I don't have much personal experience with them.

RAM speed plays more of a part in CAD and programs like it.
when your doing something that takes a week to render in CAD, a 3200MHZ RAM speed will speed things up a bit(not much)
if you game with 3200MHZ RAM thats like a waste of money because its just too much and you wont notice the difference at all other than in benchmarks.

can anyone second this?

Steve I haven't played with that yet

and I personally have never needed more then my 16 gigs but have a buddy who on large rendered type files sometimes breaks 20

RAM speed plays more of a part in CAD and programs like it.
when your doing something that takes a week to render in CAD, a 3200MHZ RAM speed will speed things up a bit(not much)
if you game with 3200MHZ RAM thats like a waste of money because its just too much and you wont notice the difference at all other than in benchmarks.

can anyone second this?
Don't think you'd ever see 3200 in a CAD machine honestly, as that's above stable limits for any kind of serious CAD work. Even most overclockers still don't really go above 2800 besides LN2 enthusiasts.

Even still, using Maya I don't see much of a difference between 1600 or 2133. Granted, I've never rendered anything that would take that long. Actually, I get impatient if something takes over a few hours with GPGPU help.

Back
Top Bottom