Utilizing chargers from different products- Help

kgravy16

Beta member
Not sure if I'm in the right place or not so try and go easy on the trolling.

Just dropped and broke my dads IHome charger which he is in love with. I found an old HP charger that fits and works fine but i'm worried about the specs. I think it may be waaay too powerful and might fry the thing. I am not very familiar with electronics and inputs/outputs so I was hoping someone could help me out here.

Here are the specs

Original iHome Charger

INPUT: 100-240VAC
50-60 Hz
450mA

OUTPUT: 9v
2000mA

HP Charger

INPUT: 100-240V
50-60 Hz
82-111VA

OUTPUT: 18V
2.23A

The output voltage is what scares me, amperage is basically the same. Again i'm not very familiar with this and was hoping someone could explain the jist of it to me. I'd be very grateful for the knowledge

Thanks

Last edited:
I wouldn't if I were you, if the iHome charger need its own model charger to perform properly I would do so.
The hp charger you have may work for the time being but you risk any damages to any mobile device its attached to voiding your warranty.
Amazon.com: Buying Choices: iHome IB967B Charging Station for E-readers, Kindle, Blackberries, Ipods and Iphones

Check on amazon and see if you might be able to find a used model like your dad owned.
If you do buy make sure to see a picture from the seller before he/she ships out. :)

Don't use the HP charger in lieu of the iHome charger! The critical spec is the voltage. The iHome is for a 9V device while the HP is for an 18V device. Plugging in a 9V device to the 18V charger could very well fry it.

You need a charger that is an exact match voltage wise. The amperage should be equal to or GREATER than the original charger. If the HP was 9V instead of 18V then the fact that the HP is a 2.3A vs the iHome's .45A would be irrelevant since the amperage is equal or greater.

Of course the plug needs to fit but you also need to be concerned with the polarity of the plug. Most often the outside is negative and the inside is positive but there are exceptions.

Back
Top Bottom