Lag/Laggy animations with multiple displays (Extend desktop)

Iamazn

Beta member
I have three of these monitors all connected to a single GTX 680. The center monitor is connected via HDMI and the two side monitors are connected via DVI. With only a single monitor enabled, there is no lag. When I enable a secondary or third monitor in Control Panel>Display>Extend desktop to this display, I get lag. FireFox scrolls unsmoothly and animations throughout Windows are sluggish. I have Minecraft opened on the center monitor. The ingame FPS counter always stays above 80 but "feels" like 40 FPS (it's not smooth). Any suggestions on what to do?

Enabling the secondary and third monitors with NVIDIA's Control Panel (Surround) doesn't give any lag but breaks window snapping so I'd really like to control the monitors with Windows Control Panel.

Would you mind adding some specs on your system? I tried running 2 monitors off of an old windows XP.... trust me it was a nightmare. If you do have good tech specs then it might just be some settings off, and I know what you mean about minecraft, used to get it on my old pc its awful said 124fps looked like 9. My advice right now would be check your drivers. Update to the newest driver for your video card. Hope this helped!

I had a very similar problem when I was using dual monitors.. Turns out it was a bad cable. If you have any extra laying around you might want to try that.

So to get it correct, you don't want 3 monitors in Surround, only expanded desktop and you're getting laggy performance with a single 680?

The center monitor is the "main" monitor right?

I would stress test your machine to make sure it's running smooth. Sounds like there might be a problem with your GPU.

Also +1 to check cables.

Back
Top Bottom