Building $900 Budget Build

So what your saying is that if I put a 120Hz setting on this monitor and play games with 1ms response time, it will look terrible?

Edit: I meant like old games.

No. The refresh has nothing to do with how it looks. High refresh and a lower response reduces possible ghosting effect you may see while moving quickly on certain screens. Anything pretty much below 8ms in my experience is fine, even @ 60hz (typical panel). That has no effect on actual graphics or game looks though.

The point of having a higher refresh is based around 2 things for gamers. Vsync, and 3D. When using a 60Hz panel applying Vsync to a fast paced game can cause input lag. It may be minimal but some people are good enough to notice it. I typically run Vsync with everything except BF3 because I notice the lag when playing online. (Not to be confused with any ping lag, your PC has nothing to do with that). The cause of this, is because the vertical sync limits your FPS to 60 causing things to be "held back" in simple. This causes some input lag. Now that is a very simplified definition, so hope that works. When having a screen that is 120Hz or higher you have support for 3D and that FPS cap from Vsync is raised to 120 and 144. So, if you buy a 144Hz panel and enable Vsync on a game you have a height of 144FPS to achieve before there is any limitation. If your card is only capable of outputting say 90FPS at max settings on a particular game you will experience no input lag thus being able to reap the benefits of Vsync which reduces any screen tearing.

Ok I kind of understand. I still have much to learn obviously. How does one get this VSync? And some people are saying that if your GPU can only run like 80 FPS in a game using 120/144Hz monitor, you're not using the monitor to its full advantage.

I don't plan on applying 3D if I do plan on getting this monitor. And you can change the refresh rates on this monitor to like 60,120,144, whatever.

Vsync is a setting in pretty much all games that you can enable or disable.
To the FPS to Hz, only half true.

Oh gotcha I understand. But can you reiterate what you said about some old games being derpy if you play on 1ms screen? Lol I don't know if you mean like it looks ridiculous or something I shouldn't worry about. I would want to play not just modern games on my new build but old games too.

I was talking about my friend who has Surround (3 monitors) with 144Hz. He had the custom res for bezel correction and when trying to use that with 144Hz settings some games would either crash or reset to default settings. I think in your case it just won't allow you to set to 144Hz.

I was talking about my friend who has Surround (3 monitors) with 144Hz. He had the custom res for bezel correction and when trying to use that with 144Hz settings some games would either crash or reset to default settings. I think in your case it just won't allow you to set to 144Hz.

Ahhh I see. So if that happens I can simply change the hertz to 120 or lower?

Honestly I don't know what to get. A TN panel or IPS panel. Hard decision. TN panels are for like competitive players that need fast and fluid gameplay and IPS panels are rich in color depth and it's for professional photo editing and stuff. Each panel has its own perks.

I don't know what the best bang for my buck is. I would have never thought choosing a monitor would be so hard...
I wanted to get new everything since I'm building my PC brand new. Should I just not worry about a nice monitor and get a decent one?

I have two monitors sitting in front of me. I'm going to tell you right now besides the size (and res) the difference in gaming between the 900 dollar one, and the one I got for 150 open box on Newegg is minimal.

They make cheap good IPS panels if you want to go that route. Honestly, the colors on the Asus are pretty superb.

Back
Top Bottom