Can you brighten an old monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

number9ine

Beta member
Hey, New here.
I have a 19" CRT monitor that is about a 2 years old and it is going dim fast. Even with the brightness/contrast up 100% in the monitors os config, I have to turn the gamma up as far as it will go in today's games and the games are still dim. Is there any internal way to increase the brightness? Maybe a voltage increase or something. Replace a capacitor? I really don't know and I don't want to just tear into my monitor to see. Let me know if there is anything I can do or should I just buy a new one and shotgun this beast? :p

try rite-clicking on yer desktop. goto properties>settings>advanced n c if u can tweak any settings to adjust the brightness.

If it's that old, then get a new one, you know maybe you would need higher res monitor. I have a 17" sony LCD and it just ROCKZZ ;)
You could get some really good deals on newegg.com

Thanks guys. That's what I was afraid of. I am probably just going to get a new monitor after the holidays. I was holding out in case there was a simple fix but I guess no luck.

Jeeze, I'd stay away from whatever brand monitor you have now. A 2 year life on a monitor is absurd to me. I've had a 19" Gateway something-or-other CRT for over 5 years and it still runs like new.

Open it (make sure its unpluged) and re-solder the heater lug on the socket board of the crt (bad heating connection is often the cause of this) if this doesnt work then locate the flyback transformer, it is usualy black and has a red wire coming out of it that attaches to what looks simmilar to a suction cup on the back of the crt (stay away from that it can carry up to 45Kv. once you have found the flyback you will notice there are two potentiometers on it. one is labeled screen and the other focus. turn the screen up just a smidge and the keeping hands clear power it up and see if its brighter. Repeat this untill you have your desired brightness. You will notice the more you turn it, the bluryer it will get. now this is the SAFETY CRUTIAL PART. you need to adjust the focus with the crt on. BE CAREFUL WHEN DOING THIS. BE CAREFUL WHEN DOING THIS. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE POTENTIOMETER. THE SHOCK FROM THE INSIDE OF A CRT CAN BE LETHAL!
Once you have the brightness and focus adjusted nicely re asemble the unit, and voala. one restored CRT.

I've done that once in the A+ hardware class. I don't recommend trying it if you don't know which potentiometer to adjust. If you touch the wrong part and aren't grounded you will die. do yourself a favor and replace it with a NEC crt 19" monitor instead of fixing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom