Win 98 Color & Resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

abryan

Solid State Member
I have WIN 98 as my operating system and last nght I was looking at some videos on Real Player and I was trying to get a better quality piocture and following the help topics guides it recommended to update the video and sound card drivers. I followed the prompts to do that and each time there was some sort of prompt pointing to the monitor as an unrecognized device or something like that and so I updated the driver for the vga monitor and when it was done it prompted me to restart my computer and when the reboot was complete, the only color options were 2 color and 16 color and the secrrn resolution was 600 X 800 and would not change. I tried a few things to fix and now my mouse will not work.

I am at work now so hoping for some suggestions to try when I go home for lunch???? HELP///

Wrong monitor driver I guess.
Uninstall it and make sure you got the latest drivers for your videocard.

What are your system specifications?

Sorry for not sounding too savy Major, but how do I find the wrong monitor driver to uninstallit and reinstall the correctone, when I selected update drivers I selected the windows update box. Also my mouse quit working. I think I put something in the recycle bin, Is there a shortcut to the recycle bin without using the mouse to restore what I put there.

My system is a DELL optiplex genI pentII 128 mb ram , not really sure of the rest,

Rightclick "My Computer"
Go to "Hardware"
Locate "Display adapters" and "Monitors"
Rightclick the monitor, select "uninstall drivers" (or something similar) (do the same for the graphics card)

»»Reboot

Look at the display adapter/graphics card and tell me if it is an Nvidia, ATI or different card. You can always do a google for graphics card drivers. Or ask me and I can help you find them.

I would take care of the graphics card drivers first (after un-installing both graphics and monitor drivers)

A lot of monitors can display all colors/resolutions without the official drivers.

Press TAB multiple times until a desktop icon is selected. Navigate to the receycle bin with the arrow keys » press ENTER to open. Press ALT, then arrow-down to navigate through the menu to empty recycle bin for example.

Check your mouse cables or try a different mouse. You might have to run the "detect hardware" wizard to detect the mouse if it uses a SERIAL connection.

Thanks, I,ll try all that at lunch when I go home, I only live 1 mile from work, I'll get back with you, I will get the video card info. In the meantime is there anything else you may need to know.

thanks

You could download AIDA32 and take a look at the monitor+graphics card details. It can help you find the drivers. AIDA32 mostly displays a link to a website wich offers the drivers for your graphics card or monitor model.

I got the mouse working so I am at least able to navigate now. I removed the display monitor completely, there was not an option to remove the driver only, and when I reinstalled a monitor, I still have only 2 color and 16 color. How do I find the driver and remove it.?

By the way my sound and video cards are TBS MONTEGO.

I can try downloading AIDA32 after work. Any suggestions?

Wut? I can only find audio drivers for TBS MONTEGO. No vide drivers. Should be something else...are you sure.

I wouldn't install the monitor drivers. Try finding+installing video drivers first, and see if the colors etc work.

I found it and under the driver tab and driver file details there are 2 drivers listed, they are:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VGA.DRV which is the top one highlited
described as

provider microsoft
file version 4.10.1998
copyright ; microsoft 1991-1995

and the nxst one is
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vmm32.vxd(vdd.vxd)

provider: not available
file version : not available
copyright : not available

This does not mean much to me and neither gives me the option to delete, so what do I do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom