In Runtime
Hey guys,

I just put together a computer with the following specs:

Sempron 2400+
Legend Radeon 9800SE 128Mb 256-bit
Asus A7N8X-X
512Mb DDR400 Generic Ram
80Gb PATA WD, 8Mb Cache

I was gambling on a couple of things here. The first one was that i would be able to soft-mod the 9800SE into a 9800Pro card. The second was that the sempron 2400 would be any good.

Well both the gambles paid off. I successfully moded the 9800SE. Went from a 3dMark03 score of 3445 (not modded) to 5565 (modded). Im going to start overclocking it when i get the arctic silencer in the mail...

Basically the sempron is performing a lot better than what i thought it would. It is actually comparable to my athlon 2500+ barton when not overclocked. It runs at a mear 39 degrees idle!! This is big news for AMD because the chips (in my experience) generally idle around 45-55. I overclocked the sempron from 166 ro a mere 172...it was all it could handle without producing errors. I did a 12 hour stress test with prime95 on this overclocked setting, with stock cooling, and at the end it was sitting on 50 degrees!!! That is very very cool ion my experience for stock cooling...

Basically im wondering if anyone else has a sempron that runs very cool, and if they have had success overclocking theres any further than a mere 60Mhz!! (6Mhz x 10.0)

I'm building a similar rig, the a7N8X-X doesn't have an aux 12v for the cpu does it? I've examined it and it didn't seem to have one, and i wondered if the sempron would run without that extra 12v's.

runs sweet as on my setup. The board has a new bios that supports the semprons so they obviously do run on there okay.

sounds like a pretty good rig!!!!! My athlon 3200+ idles at about 54 - 60 celcius is this too hot and how can i cool it down!!!! Also what is prime95 and where can i download it??
Thanx in advance!!

You can get a bigger heatsink and fan or you could spare no expence an buy a water cooling system

just google prime95 and download and youll get heaps of results. Its a fee program that was made to use idle cpu power in comps around the world to help find the worlds largest prime number. SHortly after this it became a good tool to stress test your cpu after overclocking.

Basically if you think you have a stable overclock, you should run the torture test for about 10 hours, and if it has no errors and the cpu is not overly hot, you know youve done a good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom