BIOS won't read SATA hard drive

light94

Solid State Member
I just built a new PC but the BIOS won't read the SATA hard drive.

Sequence of events:

1) Tried to install Windows 7
2) Got to the partition screen and the hard drive shows up.
3) I go to Advanced -> New Partition
4) I get a loading cursor for 30 seconds and the hard drive disappears! I click "refresh" but there are no hard drives/partitions/nothing!
5) I check in BIOS and the hard drive is not there as well... tried IDE mode as well.
6) I have a DVD SATA drive that's being recognized by BIOS so I try swapping the SATA cables and ports that they're connected to... no luck.
7) I install the hard drive into an external enclosure. My other computer reads it but I get an error "unable to format" when I try to do so. I see that there are 2 partitions: (a) 100MB "RAW" format and (b) 940GB unallocated space.

Help!

--
Parts List:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card (Purchased For $169.99)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (Purchased For $49.99)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)

Last edited:
If BIOS is unable to read it, chances are it's bad.

Like Joe said, if you're able to, use the WD tool to see if the drive is bad. If it is, warranty it to get a new one.

Just bought a new hard drive and confirmed that it's a DOA hard drive... thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom