New 760 from Gigabyte, is it worth it??

Pegasus88

Baseband Member
so I saw on the interwebs today that Gigabyte released this: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 OC 1150MHZ 4GB 6.0GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card, I was wondering (because Im about to drop some dough on a build) if the extra 2 gb of memory is worth the extra 60-70$$ also because I'm a FNG at this what impacts performance the most in a GPU? is it the clock? Memory? or CUDAs?

P.S. not sure if this was the right location for posting but i figured it would get read here

the 760 is a solid card, there are some upgrades over the 660ti its replacing. for example a better fan curve, its quieter and doesnt ramp up and down constantly, also it has GPU boost 3.0 which would basically let you tell the card " as long as you stay under X temperature, overclock your self as high as you want ". but as for real world performance difference over the 660ti, there is about a 5-10% increase in performance. However, the 4gigs of ram is " too big for this cards britches ". the only way you will be able to use all of the 4 gigs is if you are gaming in above 1080p resolution, in which case, you need to invest in a card that has more GPU processing horsepower, like a 780+. the 760 is an awesome card for 1080p gaming. If thats the resolution you are going to run at, get a 2gig card and call it a day!

take a look at this video, it will really help you understand what makes a good card:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0VNiWtQqb4

hope that helped!

Last edited:
Nah, the 760 has sufficient power for 4GB of VRAM. Those sayings are for the low end models like GT640 with 4GB or something like that. Games like modded Skyrim can take up to 4GB of VRAM but a single 760 is powerful enough to push it. Other games like Crysis 3 have VRAM leakage real bad when AA is used. Newer gen games will take advantage of the 4GB and in higher end cards it's better to go for it.

To the OP, if you don't have a decent card currently, getting a 760 whether it's 2GB or 4GB will be a very nice upgrade.

2 GB of memory is not worth $60 or $75 bucks. Save your money. The increase in performance will hardly be noticeable. hope this helps. for example, lets say you have 6Gb memory. Two more will not help much unless you are planning to really stretch the memory you now have.

2 GB of memory is not worth $60 or $75 bucks. Save your money. The increase in performance will hardly be noticeable. hope this helps. for example, lets say you have 6Gb memory. Two more will not help much unless you are planning to really stretch the memory you now have.
It appears that what you're saying has nothing to do entirely with the OPs question.

Back
Top Bottom