help with laptop choice

laxer368

Solid State Member
which computer do I want and why I'm pretty stubborn about wanting a 14' touchscreen 1500 is my cap and I am gonna be running some 3D software IE: AutoCad, Revit Solidworks possibly at the same time so heres the specs
(I want to find the best 14" touchscreen I can for my money)

Sony Vaio Fit
3rd gen Intel® Core™ i7-3537U (2.00GHz / 3.10GHz with Turbo Boost)
Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Fresh Start
Microsoft® Office 2013 trial version
14" LED backlit display (1600 x 900)
Touch screen
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 735M (2GB) hybrid graphics
1TB (5400rpm) + 8GB SSD hybrid hard drive
12GB (4GB fixed onboard + 8GB removable) DDR3L-1600MHz
Blu-ray Discâ„¢ BDXL player / burner
or
Acer aspire V7-482PG-9884
Operating System: Windows 8, 64-bit version
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4500U processor (1.8GHz/3.0GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
Memory: 12GB (4GB fixed onboard + 8GB removable) DDR3L-1600MHz
Storage: 1TB hard drive, dual hard drive support
Display: 14" Full HD IPS Widescreen CineCrystalâ„¢ LED-backlit Display, w Multi-touch screen, supporting 10 finger touch
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 750M w/ 4GB
Ports: HDMI®, USB 3.0

Battery: 4-cell Li-polymer Battery (3560 mAh)

kinda leaning towards the sony its a lil bit cheaper and both will have dual graphics with intel 4000 hd but is the difference in graphics cards going to be noticeable to me? Will autocad ever use a whole 2 gigs of the gpu ram? between the acer and the sony
Is there a 14' touchscreen with a real graphics card and 16 gig of ram? i cant find one

As far as I can tell its not cost effective or size weight prettyness ratio effective to build something like this but I am open to the possibility if some one can send some notebook building suggestions my way

Last edited:
this section is for building or buying new desktops, not laptops...

but to answer your question, the Acer is a better choice

The question is not 'is there a laptop that comes with 16GiB of ram", but is there a laptop I can easily add 16 GiB of ram too. Most manufacturers charge you way too much for them to put the ram in.

For example I purchased a Lenovo T530 last fall and bought it was 4GiB of ram. I then ordered 16GiB from Amazon and put it in myself. The Amazon cost was aroun $90 and the Lenovo cost was $980.

which computer do I want and why I'm pretty stubborn about wanting a 14' touchscreen 1500 is my cap and I am gonna be running some 3D software IE: AutoCad, Revit Solidworks possibly at the same time so heres the specs
(I want to find the best 14" touchscreen I can for my money)

Sony Vaio Fit
3rd gen Intel® Core™ i7-3537U (2.00GHz / 3.10GHz with Turbo Boost)
Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Fresh Start
Microsoft® Office 2013 trial version
14" LED backlit display (1600 x 900)
Touch screen
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 735M (2GB) hybrid graphics
1TB (5400rpm) + 8GB SSD hybrid hard drive
12GB (4GB fixed onboard + 8GB removable) DDR3L-1600MHz
Blu-ray Discâ„¢ BDXL player / burner
or
Acer aspire V7-482PG-9884
Operating System: Windows 8, 64-bit version
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4500U processor (1.8GHz/3.0GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
Memory: 12GB (4GB fixed onboard + 8GB removable) DDR3L-1600MHz
Storage: 1TB hard drive, dual hard drive support
Display: 14" Full HD IPS Widescreen CineCrystalâ„¢ LED-backlit Display, w Multi-touch screen, supporting 10 finger touch
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 750M w/ 4GB
Ports: HDMI®, USB 3.0

Battery: 4-cell Li-polymer Battery (3560 mAh)

kinda leaning towards the sony its a lil bit cheaper and both will have dual graphics with intel 4000 hd but is the difference in graphics cards going to be noticeable to me? Will autocad ever use a whole 2 gigs of the gpu ram? between the acer and the sony
Is there a 14' touchscreen with a real graphics card and 16 gig of ram? i cant find one

As far as I can tell its not cost effective or size weight prettyness ratio effective to build something like this but I am open to the possibility if some one can send some notebook building suggestions my way
Not sure what you mean by real graphics card. No small laptop is going to have any decent graphics compared to a desktop. Really if you're that serious into what you're doing you want to find a laptop that has a quad core CPU. Those listed are dual core. As per what you want though, the Acer is a better buy.

Thank you guys for the help I have gone to a more appropriate forum to seek advice sorry for posting in the wrong area ( I have decided to give up the touch requirement and am looking at a sager np7330 with a i74800q and a gtx 765m

Back
Top Bottom