got the money, now need some help

Pegasus88

Baseband Member
well I Finally got enough money for my first build but I need some seriouse help so I don't lose everything due to a stupid mistake, I want to build a gaming PC for under around $1500 but I will upgrade it shortly after

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54670K

MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Extreme OC High Performance Triple CFX/ SLI Intel Motherboard

or

ASRock Z87 Extreme4 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

MEMORY: G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR

CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl w/ USB 3.0 ATX Mid Tower Silent PC Computer Case

PSU: CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC ...

or

SeaSonic SS-750KM3 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready

SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

or

ADATA XPG SX300 ASX300S3-256GM-C mSATA 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (depending on mobo)

OPTICAL: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

MONITOR: ASUS VS248H-P Black 24" HDMI LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor

thats the basic build that I got so far, yes I plan a game on the intergrated graphics for now (I mainly play starcraft II) I will in the near future buy a GPU ( ASUS GTX 760) with plans to SLI in the future, also a 2TB HDD and a H100i for some light to moderate OCing.

Now I also got about a dozen qustions that I could use some help with lol so here goes

1. is a 750w PSU powerful enough to run 2 760s and a moderate OC to the cpu?
2. what is better for normal applications a normal SSD or mSATA?
3. what is different between Win 8 and 7? whats is also the difference between PRO and HOME?
4. RAM Speed? explain how much I need and why?
5. Monitors? what do I need to look for as a gamer?( I just picked the most popular one on NEWEGG so if you have better recomendations that would be great)
6. can I take Win 7 off my girlfriends laptop and use it on this?
7. what kind of real world performance will I see after OCing?

well thats all I can think of at the moment, I know its a bit much but I could really use the help, id love to hear all your suggestions and may even use them

I've pretty much answered all these same questions before but I'll go ahead and do it again.

1. Yes, a good 750w will sustain those. (My vote goes to the Seasonic, although both are practically the same)
2. An mSATA SSD is simply a smaller form factor SSD. I recommend the Samsung 840pro over the Adata. Stick with standard form factor.
3. The difference is minor kernel tweaks, no start menu, Metro UI, a new task manager, new explorer look, but nothing major. If you're comfortable with 7 I would stick with it.
4. 8GB of 1600 is fine for any gaming now. Doesn't need to be anything special or anything faster.
5. Any Asus, Dell, Samsung, or NEC monitors really. Stick to a size you would be comfortable with and 1080p preferably.
6. No.
7. None right now. Intel 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gen CPUs are fast enough to not be any kind of bottleneck in gaming. OCing is literally pointless for the time being.

Now to the rest. Exactly how long do you plan on gaming on the IGP? Because for 1500 you can redo things to have a GPU in there too while sustaining a decent rig.

I do not recommend going SLI, and with that being said, you don't really need such a beefy PSU. The heat, power consumption, and hassle really isn't worth it. You'd be better off getting a 4GB 770 or a 780.

I would hold off on spending any kind of money on a CPU cooler for a while, or until you would actually need it which would be a few years off.

i plan on using IGP for on a couple months tops but lets hear your idea, I was gonna buy 1 760 now and then get another one down the road, kinda split up the cost. I guess a air cooler will do fine for my cpu like a hyper 212

You're going to get tired of that IGP rather quick. What are you currently using?

You're better off buying a better single GPU, seriously. If you want to spend 500 on a couple of GPUs it would be more beneficial to get something like a 4GB 770 which has more VRAM.
Stock CPU cooler will be sufficient until you want/need to OC.

For 1500 you can get quite a bit, and really all of it now if you are willing to drop down a few things and slowly upgrade later. For instance.

Go to a TX650 or Seasonic 620 for the PSU, drop the SSD down to a 120GB, grab yourself a 1TB HDD (Seagate Barracuda, WD Black), go with 8GB standard 1600 RAM, and after that you should be able to afford a GPU possibly in the area of a 760.

If you really feel you can deal with an IGP for a few months then by all means, but I still say stick with a good single GPU.

Where are you buying from.
I SUGGEST NCIX.COM due to service and selection. BUT use their pricematching and shopbot.ca to find the cheapest places.

You can save a few hundred this way.

Back
Top Bottom