Hard disks

spacecadet11

In Runtime
Hello. I have a 'refirbished' computer. I would like to buy a different hardrive for it.

Can I simply use the 'refurbished' computer installation disk and load the operating system onto that?

Sorry about the simple nature of the question..but I need or want 'assurance'!

Thanks for any and all responses
Bye
SC

Depends on what you mean by refurbished. Did you get it from a place like Newegg? If so, then if they provided the disk for the computer then yes. Otherwise, it depends on if the copy of Windows coming with the computer has been activated to that particular motherboard.

Answer. No. I got it at a Factory direct. Can you elaborate as to what you mean by 'activating' to a particular motherboard?

I want to eventually change or upgrade the hard disk by buying another one?
Thanks
SC

Yes, you can install it on a new HDD.

As long as the computer has a Windows sticker, and you have the proper Windows install disc, you can install it just fine. When you go to activate Windows, you may have to manually do it over the phone (by talking to an automated answering system and entering in numbers given to you to activate the system). It'll ask how many systems this copy of Windows has been installed on... just say 1.

Answer. No. I got it at a Factory direct. Can you elaborate as to what you mean by 'activating' to a particular motherboard?

I want to eventually change or upgrade the hard disk by buying another one?
Thanks
SC
OEM copies do not allow upgrades of the motherboard.

So, if the motherboard was damaged when it was given/tossed/replaced/RMAd and replaced you may not be able to reinstall Windows. If it's the same, then there will be no issues.

OEM copies do not allow upgrades of the motherboard.

So, if the motherboard was damaged when it was given/tossed/replaced/RMAd and replaced you may not be able to reinstall Windows. If it's the same, then there will be no issues.

Luckily windows doesn't actually care. It's not an upgrade, it's a replacement, and at worst you'll have to call microsoft to get the key unlocked. I installed win7 on at least 4 different motherboards over the years with an oem key.

Back
Top Bottom