SOS! Windows could not detect a properly installed network adapter

alexander606

Beta member
Hello everyone,

After 6 hours of reading/testing I can't do anything else and I am really tired, so you guys are my last hope. Here is the problem:

I had a lot of hardware in my stock so I decided to make some desktops today. I built them normally without any problem, the only thing was that in 1 desktop I had to use DDR2 ram instead of DDR, so I borrowed one ram card (2GB) from my main PC in order to make the desktop run.

While I was making a format to my desktops, I tried to log in from my main PC. Then I face out the problem: I couldn't connect to internet!
- It says: "no connections available"
- After troubleshoot: "Windows could not detect a properly installed network adapter"
- When I installed the latest drivers: "The realtek network controller was not found. If Deep Sleep Mode is enabled Please Plug The Cable"
- In device manager there are no "Network Adapters" anymore, only in hidden, and I can't update/reinstall them.

I tried the following I read around:
- Unplug everything from PC and wait around 10 minutes, then plug them back.
- Safe mod uninstalling drivers and reinstalling them. Same error.
- Bring back my RAM and run. Same error.
- Restore default BIOS settings. Same error.
- Cleared CMOS
- Add a network card (not sure that it's working, it's an old one). Same error.

My OP: Windows 7 Ultimate x64
My motherboard: ASUS P5Q-EM

Please note that the other desktops are running perfectly. I am asking for help since I can't do anything else, and I feel helpless. The only thing left is to format my PC but I am not sure that this will solve the problem and it's my last solution.

Waiting for your replies..
Thanks!
:confused: :confused:

So after you install the drivers for the your onboard Realtek ethernet port, you still can't see the network adapter in device manager normally? Only when looking for hidden devices?

If that's the case, uninstall the drivers and scan for hardware changes. Do you see the network adapter or controller listed as an unknown device?

Let me know when you've gotten that far.

Also, double check in BIOS to make sure that the network adapter is indeed still enabled.

So after you install the drivers for the your onboard Realtek ethernet port, you still can't see the network adapter in device manager normally? Only when looking for hidden devices?

If that's the case, uninstall the drivers and scan for hardware changes. Do you see the network adapter or controller listed as an unknown device?

Let me know when you've gotten that far.

I can't see the network adapter in any case. I uninstalled the drivers and try it, I reinstalled the drivers and retry, I even cleaned CMOS and tried. Nothing happens. It seems like it's dead

Also, double check in BIOS to make sure that the network adapter is indeed still enabled.

I didn't even think of that. Swapping out network cards, your board may have automatically disabled your onboard LAN.

It is enabled all the time. I'm checking it everytime I am testing a different method.
My LAN has 2 leds. One left for internet connection speed and one right for internet connection activity. The left is OK, the right is not.

Thanks for replies, I really appreciate that.

Have you tried installing the driver manually?
In the device manager, if the adapter doesn't let you update the driver, go the top and choose Action=>Add Legacy Hardware
After clicking next, choose "install the hardware that I manually select from a list".
Next, choose "Show All Devices", click next.
Then click the button that says, "Have Disk...", and then browse to where you downloaded the NIC drivers.

You want to go into the Win7 folder (*\RTL8111C_Ethernet_V735222009_Win7\Win7\64\*)
Once in there, there should be only one file to choose from (netrtx64.ini). Choose that, and click ok.

Something in the manual install folder said something about "choose 8168C , DO NOT choose 8168B as the device", and after the installation make sure the device name is 8168C and not 8168B (I'm not sure if this applies to you or not though). But it says sometimes the OS chooses 8168B for the 8168C device and the two drivers are incompatible or something like that.

Does it then show your device?

Last edited:
Have you tried installing the driver manually?
In the device manager, if the adapter doesn't let you update the driver, go the top and choose Action=>Add Legacy Hardware
After clicking next, choose "install the hardware that I manually select from a list".
Next, choose "Show All Devices", click next.
Then click the button that says, "Have Disk...", and then browse to where you downloaded the NIC drivers.

You want to go into the Win7 folder (*\RTL8111C_Ethernet_V735222009_Win7\Win7\64\*)
Once in there, there should be only one file to choose from (netrtx64.ini). Choose that, and click ok.

Something in the manual install folder said something about "choose 8168C , DO NOT choose 8168B as the device", and after the installation make sure the device name is 8168C and not 8168B (I'm not sure if this applies to you or not though). But it says sometimes the OS chooses 8168B for the 8168C device and the two drivers are incompatible or something like that.

Does it then show your device?

Hello,

I chose manually installation, and when I'm clicking "Have Disc" and find the correct .ini in my drivers folder, then OK, it appears nothing. No network adapter there.
In addition there is no 8168C there.

Thanks

From the device manager, uninstall the network adapter, when you reboot windows should pick up the device and automatically re-install a driver. Then try disconnecting all the other pc's and connect the modem without the router directly to your main rig that you need the internet on. See if that does anything.

Last edited:
From the device manager, uninstall the network adapter, when you reboot windows should pick up the device and automatically re-install a driver. Then try disconnecting all the other pc's and connect the modem without the router directly to your main rig that you need the internet on. See if that does anything.

There is no network adapter at all in device manager! That's what I am talking about!

Back
Top Bottom