Upgrading Old Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

technodude

Beta member
I have an old PII 300 computer from '99. I am wondering how hard it will be to put in a new motherboard with a p4 chip maybe around 2 gighertz, give or take, and how much it will cost. Also, is it feasible to upgrade the sound and video cards with a new motherboard to get a decent gaming computer. (Both aren't integrated). I would like to spend less than if I was buying a new computer. Thanx for the help.

It's not exceedingly hard, as long as you have knowledge of how to open up the computer's chassis, removing the old motherboard and bolting in the new one. For a P4, an ASUS P4S533 (based on the SiS 645DX chipset), is extremely cheap, stable and performs pretty well. A P4 2.0 GHz will do for this situation. As for the videocard, I recommend having a GeForce3 Ti 200 at minimum (seeing as they are less than $100 now), but if you can spend the extra, a GeForce4 Ti 4200 is recommended. As for sound, if you can't live with integrated audio, a Creative SBLive! Value will do.

I also strongly recommend upgrading to a larger capacity HDD along with a DVD-ROM drive.

Prices: (according to Pricewatch)

ASUS P4S533 - $105
P4 2.0 GHz CPU - $178
GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB - $82
Creative SBLive! - $20

If the cost of a P4 is too high for you, I suggest going AMD instead:

ASUS A7V333 - $101
AMD Athlon XP 2000+ 1.67 GHz - $120

Ok thanks for the input. You say that it is easy to install the hardware, but what about the difficulty of installing software and drivers for a new chip? Is this as easy or hard to do? I have windows 2000 currently. Would this OS pose a problem or make things harder than usual?

If you plan to go AMD and buy a VIA chipset-based motherboard... then downloading 4in1 driver pack from VIA Arena's site isn't too much of a drag, as drivers for all OS's are avail. Other chipsets won't require to install additional software, but rather, drivers which come on the CD-ROM the motherboard comes with isn't too big of an issue.

BTW, I forgot to mention RAM. Depending on your platform, RDRAM and DDR SDRAM are what I would use, but in the case of the motherboard's I gave you above, PC2100 or 2700 DDR SDRAM should suit well. 256 MB at minimum, 512 if you have the extra money.

Don't forget some fans and heatsinks.. The fan in my 333 only moves about 12 cfm and in today's computers that isn't enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom