New gaming PC, first time buyer! help!.

Are you saying, you're not going to build it til next year? Cause if that's the case, technology changes faster than you can blink. What we're suggesting now, will become obsolete. You should buy your parts when you're ready to build, and ask for advice when that time comes.

I am buying that PC that I quoted from the Store.

However, I will look into the parts when it comes around to it in a couple months, as I know that my computer then, wont be able the games of 2014. I'd rather have a temporary computer till I am settled in England next year, then I will return to looking to build my own computer.

But thanks for the help anyways guys!

The PC you quoted from the store will be able to handle games in 2014 easily. If you drop $1650 on that PC there is no need to build your own when you move over here.

Edit: Unless you are saying that you aren't bringing the PC with you so you will only have the laptop?

Last edited:
Upgraded to 4GB Gtx 770.

Though about building but am gonna give it a miss till I settle down once I move to England next year.

The guy recommended the I7 with the GTX 770 because it would be "convenient but not a must".

He said if I want my PC to run FAST then he would recommend keeping it, he said however if I want the PC to Just run great on the games and cut down some money he'd recommend go to the I5.

The only problem I'm having now is I've bought a 39Inch TCL Tv, 3d HDMI(3d Optional) and I don't have money for a Monitor.

I played Payday Heist 2 beta last night and I finally found out why everyone told me not to use a TV with a computer.

The game lagged, on all graphic settings and no matter what I done I couldn't change it.

So now I'm stuck with the fact that I've got a TV, will be getting a computer that from what I understand will mess with my gaming cause of the TV.

Do ALL other games do this?

I've played BF3 on this TV etc with no problems.

Only recently Payday 2 Beta has really proven to me I shouldn't of bought it.

Thanks again.
The only difference between an i5 and an i7 on the mainstream platforms is the addition of HT. HT does absolutely nothing for games, so the only convenience is your money to them. This is why I tell people to just build, because nobody tries to gip you when you do. So literally the i5 and i7 are going to run the same no matter what you do, unless you're going to be rendering which will utilize HT and 100% of all threads. Otherwise, it's a total waste of money that can be spent elsewhere.

The lagging and such has nothing to do with your TV. The difference between the PC monitor and a TV is simply going to be picture quality and nothing more.

The PC you quoted from the store will be able to handle games in 2014 easily. If you drop $1650 on that PC there is no need to build your own when you move over here.

Edit: Unless you are saying that you aren't bringing the PC with you so you will only have the laptop?

Ok that's All I need to know then, I upgraded to the 670 4GB GTX.

So overall price is 1720.

I am taking the PC with me to the UK, then whenever I need to over there I will either upgrade it manually, or build my own, it seems easy, but I don't have the time to do it at the moment.

How do you think it will handle, GTAV when it comes out on PC?

So its a good build to buy if I don't have the option to build?

Thanks again mate.

Ok that's All I need to know then, I upgraded to the 670 4GB GTX.

So overall price is 1720.

I am taking the PC with me to the UK, then whenever I need to over there I will either upgrade it manually, or build my own, it seems easy, but I don't have the time to do it at the moment.

How do you think it will handle, GTAV when it comes out on PC?

So its a good build to buy if I don't have the option to build?

Thanks again mate.

I assume you mean the 4gb 770.

I can't say for sure as it hasn't been announced but I'm willing to bet it will run at high settings at least. Probably max it. Wait for PP or someone to reply. Knows waaayyyy more than me so he will be able to give a better reply.

If you really can't build then you may aswell go ahead and get it, its a powerful build and will handle pretty much anything you throw at it. My card (560ti 1gb) which I got back in 2011 still plays games at high settings and the 770 easily outperforms it.

Like PP said, the I7 is pointless for gaming and the money would be better spent somewhere else. It will perform the same as an I5. You won't notice a difference.

Never heard of that PSU, people usually recommend something like a Corsair. Or looking at the earlier posts PP linked a Seasonic. Seeing as though this is a custom PC I would ask the guy to drop the I7 to an I5 and either keep the money you saved or use it to upgrade something else. Personally I'd change the power supply.

but if you keep it as it is, yes, it will play the games you want to play. And upcoming games.

I've been saying that the whole time, and I typically don't waste my time on being ignored. Let him get what the guy "says" is good.

I haven't ignored you, I have downgraded to the I5 about 1 hour after I posted the last reply, the guy said it WILL make a difference but I said no I want the I5, based on what people have told me I'd prefer that.

However I'm tossing up what would be worth the extra 100 to improve performance more.

And what is the psu?
What should I get instead. I have no idea what a psu is haha.

Thank you ALL for your help, and PP, thank you a lot because you saved me money and helped me the most !

I don't ignore people, I saw the 2nd last post first and quoted that !

:)

Last edited:
Ask him to show you benchmarks of GAMES that prove HT makes a difference.

To settle it so YOU the buyer know for sure.
AnandTech | The Haswell Review: Intel Core i7-4770K & i5-4670K Tested

Even in productivity testing, HT doesn't make that big of a difference. The 2 games are mismarked, as the bottom "i7 4770k" is actually the i5 4670k.

Then, on this benchmark you have the 3570k which is previous gen, technically 10% overall slower, hanging on the shirt tails of the 4770k in games.

Core i7 4770K processor review - Game performance - Far Cry 2 | Crysis 2

I owned/own a 3960x and always run with HT off. Makes little to no difference in the things I do. The guy is just blowing smoke up your tail to get that extra cash, as it's his job as a salesman and why I hate it when people don't build their own. Rather, was trying to.

I apologize, I thought I was being ignored as I didn't see any mention of any hardware swap besides the 770 4GB. Which PSU and machine are you going with exactly? I'm slightly confused on what setup you've chosen.

Ask him to show you benchmarks of GAMES that prove HT makes a difference.

To settle it so YOU the buyer know for sure.
AnandTech | The Haswell Review: Intel Core i7-4770K & i5-4670K Tested

Even in productivity testing, HT doesn't make that big of a difference. The 2 games are mismarked, as the bottom "i7 4770k" is actually the i5 4670k.

Then, on this benchmark you have the 3570k which is previous gen, technically 10% overall slower, hanging on the shirt tails of the 4770k in games.

Core i7 4770K processor review - Game performance - Far Cry 2 | Crysis 2

I owned/own a 3960x and always run with HT off. Makes little to no difference in the things I do. The guy is just blowing smoke up your tail to get that extra cash, as it's his job as a salesman and why I hate it when people don't build their own. Rather, was trying to.

I apologize, I thought I was being ignored as I didn't see any mention of any hardware swap besides the 770 4GB. Which PSU and machine are you going with exactly? I'm slightly confused on what setup you've chosen.

image-2721798594.jpg

That is what has been agreed on. He just emailed me asking what i5 do I want and that just completely confuses me.

Hope for a reply before I fall asleep.

Thanks PP

Why are they selling you a 3rd gen rather than a 4th gen? Tell him you want a B85 board with an i5 4670 instead. Also, grab the 840 Pro SSD rather than the standard 840.

I would also NOT buy that no name PSU.

Back
Top Bottom